Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Snickerdoodles

It's funny how things come in cycles in the foodblogging world. Lately, I've seen so many recipe for snickerdoodles that I just have to add my own to the collection. I used to make this recipe when I worked at a retreat centre as a cook and baker, and they were always a big hit. The recipe came from the 2000 Bakefest insert that was in that year's Christmas issue of Canadian Living. Because of the size of the recipe I had to make and my time restrictions, I didn't roll these into balls and then roll the balls in the cinnamon sugar; instead, I added 1 tsp of ground cinnamon to the recipe (double for double the recipe, etc.), scooped the cookies out, flattened them with a fork or with a wet hand, and then sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top.

I first heard of snickerdoodles when I was in Baddeck, Nova Scotia, where I spent part of my honeymoon in the summer of 2002. Baddeck is a pretty small place, but it had a nice little bakery/cafe, and on offer one day were snickerdoodles. I'd never heard of them before, so I asked the gal behind the counter what they were, she told me, and I bought one. It was excellent! Funnily enough, I haven't seen too many sold in bakeries since then.

Snickerdoodles (adapted by me)

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

For the topping: 2 tbsp granulated sugar and 1 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and then beat in the vanilla.

2. Sift together the dry ingredients and blend into the butter mixture until combined.

3. Scoop onto baking sheets - lined in parchment or silicone baking mats, preferably. Press down slightly with a fork. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

4. Bake @ 350F for 12 - 15 minutes, or until done.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What delicious looking snickerdoodles!

Cheers,

Rosa

Donna-FFW said...

I love your changes to the original, they look really pretty. The classic cookies are my favorites.

PS the oreo ones were a hit here, Ill post this week bout em.

Heather S-G said...

yum! I like the fork pressing & sprinkling...good variation :)

Cathy said...

I have never had a snickerdoodle. Time to change that.

Reeni said...

Snickerdoodles are so over-looked. And so yummy! The perfect cookie for milk or tea-dunking. I love your version!

Coleens Recipes said...

One of the GREAT classic cookies.

Debbie said...

Snickerdoodles ae my favorite homemade cookie! Yummy.

Anonymous said...

I love snickerdoodles! My grandma made them all the time, so they're a favorite of mine. I'll have to try your version.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin