Monday, May 11, 2009

Burger Time!

As part of my depression kit last week, I picked up a copy of the latest Food Network Magazine. Unlike the last issue, which I thought was ho-hum, this issue was really, really good! I particularly loved the Bobby Flay burger section. It inspired me to make some burgers - and I found out that his new cookbook, Burgers, Fries, & Shakes, is a Random House publication, and since I review books for Random House, I requested a review copy of it and it's on its way! Woo-hoo!

Anyway, I liked the looks of a recipe for avocado relish in the article, and I made it to go on my burgers last night. It was excellent stuff!

Avocado Relish (by Bobby Flay)

2 avocados
1/2 small onion, diced
1 minced jalapeno
juice of 1 lime
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
salt & pepper

Mix everything together.

I made half the recipe and omitted the jalapeno because I don't like them.

I made the burger with bison meat and seasoned it only with salt & pepper - as Bobby Flay apparently does! I topped it with red pepper, spring mix, and some of the Italian flavoured Monterey Jack cheese I got at the Village Cheese Co. I served my burger with some roasted potatoes, and I have enough left over for a couple of nights.

10 comments:

adventureswiththewoods said...

There's nothing better than a homemade burger, and yours looks great! The potatoes go along with it perfectly.

Elra said...

Classic summer grilling is coming, yay! Thanks for this delicious looking burger. Yummy!

girlichef said...

Yes, I saw those Bobby Flay burgers, too....oh yum! Looks awesome :)

Coleen's Recipes said...

I could easily stay away from that burger (not too much into red meat lately) but my-oh-my those potatoes look excellent and I'd love to dip them in tht avocado sauce. Yum.

Cathy said...

See and I found this issue more ho hum than the last one. Although your burger picture is making me seriously re-think my pork chops for supper.

Wandering Coyote said...

Cathy: You thought this issue is ho-hum, eh? Interesting. Perhaps it's just my mood...

Van Santos said...

The avocados sold me on this, my variation will come tomorrow.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Yummy! I LOVE burgers, especially when they are homemade!

Cheers,

Rosa

Donna-FFW said...

LOVE a good burger and the relish you chose sounds perfect!

Borderline Lil said...

I'd like to see a photo of you trying to put that huge and delish burger into your mouth! It's ginormous haha! (the burger that is lol)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin