Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Morning Glory Muffins - Commercial Style

Looking through my archives, I noticed that I haven't posted the recipe for Morning Glory muffins that I make pretty much every week at work. Well, today is your lucky day!

Morning Glory Muffins

8 tsp baking soda
8 cups flour
5 cups sugar
8 carrots
4 apples
4 oranges
2 cups nuts (we use walnuts)
2 cups coconut
2 cups raisins
12 eggs
4 cups oil
5tsp vanilla

OK, this is what I do. I trim the ends off the carrots and rinse them off if they look particularly grotty. I quarter the apples and seed & core them. I quarter the oranges (we use seedless naval oranges). I don't peel or chop; everything goes through the Robot Coupe, which does a fabulous job of shredding everything to bits.

I combine the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar in a large bowl, then add this to the carrot mixture. I then add to this the nuts, coconut, and raisins. Last, I add the flour and baking soda. I scoop & bake. Usually I get about 36 - 38 large, commercial-size muffins. These are the most popular muffins sold at the coffee shop, and I have to say, they are really good.

12 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

I really want to make these. This sounds SO good!!!!! I don't have a robot coupe...would a food processor work? Oh man, these sound good.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What delicious looking and sounding muffins!

Cheers,

Rosa

Donna-FFW said...

MMM, sounds wonderful.. do you toast the walnuts or coconut prior, is there a scaled down version to make a lesser amount.. can u sub mandarin oranges? Ditto to Coleens question, would a food processor work and which blade do you think? They truly sound terrific.

Heather S-G said...

These sound like a perfect thing to wake up to! Delicious!

Cathy said...

See you say Morning Glory and my mind is now in the gutter ;)

Bob said...

Drool, muffins. Those sound awesome. I'm jealous though, I don't have any robots at my job. ;)

Dewi said...

OH!
Your Morning Glory Muffins look pretty glorious indeed. Delicious!
Cheers,
elra

Wandering Coyote said...

Coleen & Donna-FFW: a food processor would work fine, as long as it's strong enough to shred orange peel. Use the grating/shredding blade. And yes, you could use whole mandarin oranges; you can use any oranges, but you just don't want any with seeds.

In this case, no we don't toast the nuts and coconut first - it's a time thing. But, you can if you want. I suspect that if you quarter this recipe, you'll get a suitable amount of batter for home baking.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love morning glory muffins. They are so good. Thanks!

Joie de vivre said...

This seems like a good recipe for teenage boys (seeing as it makes 36!). I've missed reading your blog! I have been out of the blogging world for two weeks with my parents visiting and I really have missed you! (Is that weird? :) Thanks, as always, for your comment on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Oooo these sound great! I love the carrot/orange/coconut combo.

Tina said...

You have so many good recipes that my "to try" folder is starting to need a band around it to keep it closed!

You ought to cater. Yum yum!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin