Sunday, May 17, 2009

Magazine Monday #38: "Beginners' Bread

Again, I needed bread this weekend. Last week's loaf lasted a whole week, which was nice. I've been carting around a segment of November 1991's issue of Canadian Living entitled "The Best of our Bakeries" and it contains some really nice recipes. No, I have not been receiving Canadian Living since 1991 (when I would have been 16) nor have I had this in my recipe binder since then; I believe I got this from an old issue my mother had saved and it somehow wound up in my collection. CL's online recipe database doesn't appear to go back to 1991, so there is unfortunately no link to the recipe. I adapted it slightly because I use instant yeast, not the traditional kind you have to activate first. Here it is.

Beginners' Bread

1 cup milk
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 tbsp yeast
5 cups (approx.) bread flour (all purpose will do)
1 egg
sesame seeds

Follow directions my bread baking tutorial post. Makes two loaves. Before baking, beat the egg and brush onto the tops of the loaves, then sprinkle on the sesame seeds. Bake at 400F for about 35 - 40 minutes, or until done.

13 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a gorgeous loaf! really beautiful and so soft!

Cheers,

Rosa

Coleens Recipes said...

Since there are only the two of us to eat bread these days, I've discovered that home made bread freezes exceptionally well. I let it cool down and then slice the whole loaf and freeze it. Frozen slices easily separate from the rest of the loaf and there is no stale or wasted bread.

Cathy said...

Looks delicious! I've been accumulating bread recipes and this fall I am determined to make it regularly. I like Coleen's idea re: freezing it.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I don't remember those 1991 years of Canadian Living. Good thing you have this recipe. Great loaf you made.

Bob said...

That looks awesome! I haven't made bread in forever, I think I'll try this one out.

Debbie said...

I've never made bread before, it's the one cooking item I've yet to try. I'll have to give it ago, you make it look easy though....

Tina said...

I am so glad you posted this - I have some bread recipes I have been wanting to try and being a novice at it, they looked intimidating. So, I have been putting it off.

I hope to make you proud and post your bread recipe on my page sometime this week!

Donna-FFW said...

Beginners bread sounds like something I could handle. It looks beautiful, I thnk Id like it toasted with slabs of butter.

Taste Buddies said...

Wow! This is real gourmet stuff. If I could make this I'd never buy bread again.

creampuff said...

Look at the gorgeous crumb on that bread! Nicely done!

Elyse said...

Wow! This bread bakes up gorgeously. What a fabulous job you did. I hope this loaf lasts you the week, as well. Sorry that I've been an absent commenter; I just finished up my law school exams and am finally getting around to my google reader.

Denise said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. This looks great, i believe i may be bread challenged, but this doesnt look too hard.

Anonymous said...

Yum! It looks nice and soft. I bet it makes good toast.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin