Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ah, Meal Kits...

When one is unwell, sometimes it really pays to get a meal kit. It's easy, it's quick, it's usually satisfying. More importantly, it's brainless. Yes, indeed, recently meal kits have been rocking my kasbah.

I love the Simply Asia line of noodles & sauce products, and I buy them when I can find them on sale. I was in luck last week. Just add meat & veggies and the contents of the kit and there you go - nice, reasonably decent, tasty meal in about 15 minutes.
I also found a great rice kit on sale, too, made by A Taste of Thai. I had the garlic basil rice and it was really good. It had a bit of a kick to it, and was very flavourful. I also found wild chum salmon portions (frozen) on sale and I had some nice salmon & rice meals that were quite delish, healthy, and very easy for me to make.
Then of course, there is the ubiquitous taco kit. Man, sometimes a taco kit is just the ticket.
Actually, all in all, I'm not eating that terribly during this episode. I've certainly eaten worse.

12 comments:

Cathy said...

I remember how excited we used to be to get a taco kit when we were kids...that and rice a roni!

Heather S-G said...

Nothing like convenience when you need it!! I'm all in for the taco kit!

Tina said...

I think meal kits are great for when you are in a time cruch, or have the blues and just can't properly lift a spatula or wooden spoon to make someting with love.

I like the looks of that garlic rice...Mmmm mmmmm.

Dewi said...

Sounds delicious. I should try to look at my grocery store. Yum!

Bob said...

I love taco kits! I usually get gordita ones, I like the extra thick tortillas. My girlfriend eats those simply asia things all the time, they aren't bad.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That rice kit is interesting! When time is lacking, such kits can be helpful...

Cheers,

Rosa

Debbie said...

Meal kits make cooking way easier at time!!! Found your blog through Donna and love it!

Reeni said...

I am always eying those Asian boxes at the market. They seem so overpriced, but now that I know someone who has actually tasted them, I will be less hesitant. The basil rice sounds great. And who doesn't love a taco kit once in a while, quick comfort food!

Donna-FFW said...

I use taco kits all the time. Nothing wrong with shortcuts on those harried days:)

Julie said...

Count me in for the taco kit! I still the little chef boyardee pizza kits too! I might make my kids eat one tomorrow :)

Lunch Buckets said...

I like that Taste of Thai stuff - actually I've never really had anything bad from that line. Hate to admit it but the Pad Thai kit is way better than I've been able to make from scratch!

Anonymous said...

Some people think getting meal kits is slummin, but I say who gives a crap. They're easy, quick, and generally tasty. I've seen the Simply Asia and Taste of Thai in the store but haven't tried them. Think I'm gonna have to now! And, you can't go wrong with Old El Paso. Yum!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin