Thursday, April 02, 2009

Simple Cherry Dessert

The cook was away when I was at work on Monday, and the relief cooks were unavailable to fill in, which mean that the two office ladies were up. The menu: Shepherd's Pie (eeewww), biscuits, soup, salad, mixed veg, and this dessert, which I got to make since the office ladies were too busy to do themselves. I was only too happy to make this, since it gave me a bit of a break from muffin and cookie baking. I've actually made this dessert before, and it is really quick and easy.

Simple Cherry Dessert

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour
1 can cherry pie filling

1. Cream together butter & sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Add almond extract. Beat until nice and light and fluffy.

2. Sift in dry ingredients and combine.

3. Spread in a greased 9x13" pan. I was making a double recipe, and I was using a larger pan for this, but you get the idea.4. Get out your cherry filling. In my case, it comes in a big bucket. Man, I love this stuff! I could eat it right out of the bucket with a great big spoon (alas, I did not; but I did lick the scoop when I was done).5. Spoon the filling over the batter in big globs.
6. Bake at 350F for 45 - 50 minutes, or until the cake is done and pulling away from the sides of the pan. The finished product looks like this:Now, I actually used blueberry filling for this, because it's what we had on hand, so using other types of filling is perfectly OK. I didn't get to eat any of this, but I'm sure it was yummy - it couldn't be anything else!

Enjoy!

13 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Simple, but nonetheless delicious!

cheers,

Rosa

Tina said...

Damn....I gained weight just looking at that one! I will print it to do in the future after I lose the "Nigella weight"!!!!

Donna-FFW said...

This looks fantastic, it is similar to one I made with apples, now I feel like making it! Sounds so delicious!!

Cathy said...

This just reiterates the fact that I cannot wait for summer, fresh cherries and homemade cherry pie. Good work - looks yummy.

Anonymous said...

OMG I haven't had this dessert in a long time. So good! When I last made it, I doused it with powdered sugar icing and sprinkled with toasted, slivered almonds. Thanks for reminding me of this! This is my first visit to your blog, and I really like it :)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

With ice cream that must be delicious.

Coleens Recipes said...

I agree with Helene...a big scoop of vanilla and its good to go!

tshsmom said...

I was gonna say that we use this same recipe at work, only we make a blueberry filling for it...but you beat me to it. ;)

A said...

Bonus to the people mentioning ice cream!

Does the filling like spread out because it looks like you would get some gaps in the cherry goodness

Wandering Coyote said...

Oh, yeah, you guys - ice cream would rock with this!

Alyse: yes, the filling spreads out so you should get lots of berry goodness.

Elyse said...

Mmm, this dessert looks simple and fabulous. My favorite!! How delicious. So glad you got to make something different from cookies and muffins :)

Alexis AKA MOM said...

My mom makes this one of my favorites!! Thanks for reminding me of it. Did a google search and found you thanks :)

Wandering Coyote said...

Thanks for stopping by, Alexis!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin