Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gingersnaps - Commercial Style

On my last baking shift, I made cookies - lots and lots of cookies. The cranberry orange have seemed to fall out of favour with the clientele at the hospital, so the cook made an executive decision to replace them with gingersnaps. Who doesn't love a good gingersnap? This recipe came from one of the residents of the old folks' home I work in who has passed on. The dough is very popular with the staff; as I was scooping out cookies, the volunteer coordinator came along with a spoon and helped herself to a good hunk of dough.

This makes about 5 dozen cookies using a 2oz cookie scoop.

Gingersnaps

1lb butter
4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups molasses
4 eggs
8 cups flour
8 tsp baking soda
4 tsp each: cinnamon, cloves, ground ginger, and salt

Cream butter, sugar and molasses until light & fluffy. Add eggs, one at time. Beat in baking soda, spices, & salt. Fold in flour.

You're supposed to make little balls of dough, dip them in sugar, then press down, & bake. We don't have time to make all the balls, so we scoop out the dough, press with a fork, sprinkle with sugar, & bake. 350F oven for 12 - 15 minutes.

Man, do these ever smell good! I resisted trying one, but other staff did not!

9 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

I love ginger snaps. I usually make a ton of them at Christmas, I don't know why I only make them during the holidays. They are an excellent cookie.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

They look fantastic!

Cheers,

Rosa

Heather S-G said...

I love ginger snaps...these sound awesome!

Donna-FFW said...

I so ennjoy gingersnaps. Yours lok terrific. I will have to add them to my to try list..

Cathy said...

I think gingersnaps are my favourite cookie by far - I've never even attempted to make them though (odd).

Judith said...

White sugar or brown sugar? or does it matter? Ginger snaps are very popular in the Maritimes and in Devon.

Bob said...

Why resist? It's got ginger in it, that's a vegetable right? :) Heh.

They sure look good, I don't even remember the last time I had a gingersnap.

Anonymous said...

Gingersnaps are one of my favorite cookies. Yours look great! Dang...I might have to make some this weekend :)

Dewi said...

Such perfect gingersnaps, sounds perfect and delicious.
Cheers,
elra

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin