Monday, April 20, 2009

Magazine Monday #36: Almond Cupcakes

Why do I do stupid things when I bake? Like not grease my pans properly. I know better!

Well, I was struck by a cupcake section in May's Canadian Living and I decided to make a batch of Almond Cupcakes in my king size muffin pan. When I've used this pan before, I've gotten away with just spraying it very well with my oil sprayer thingy and everything's been just fine. Well, not this time. Three cupcakes would not come out of the pan and I was ticked. Luckily, three came out OK, and I had just enough icing left over from the ricotta cookies to ice them.These were pretty amazing, though I have to say two things about this recipe A) it says you'll get 12 cupcakes, but they are going to be teeny-weeny cupcakes. Good thing I used my king size pan and got decent-sized cupcakes, but if you use a regular 12-cup pan, you're going to have really small cupcakes. B) These are a little oily - probably due to the high almond content. The cake has a wonderful, tender, buttery texture, but the outsides are a little oily. Just so you know.

Definitely a keeper recipe!

11 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

Hopefully the "little oily" feature will keep them soft longer (?)

Donna-FFW said...

Love almond flavoring. The cupcakes look great.. wonder why the sides would be oily..sometimes that happpens to my strawberry muffins, maybe too much melted butter in those, I always think?? But these, HMMM.. Certainly sound tasty.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

These cupcakes look perfect! Yummy!

cheers,

Rosa

Cathy said...

Nothing worse than stuff not releasing from the pan - happens to me all the time..I lack the patience to grease things properly.

Meg said...

They sound yummy! Love the sprinkles.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Oh no, I hate when they don't come out. I think I will try this recipe. Looks so yummy.

Van Santos said...

Oooo... almonds! They look great and I feel so woefully inadequate now for some reason. =)

Debbie said...

I can't wait to give them a try. I love cupcakes.. ;)

Anonymous said...

The three that came out ok look great! I hate it when stuff like that sticks in the pan.

Dewi said...

I've checked the link and saw the ingredients, well definitely bookmarking it. I know it will be delicious, look at yours! Thanks for sharing the link/recipe.
Cheers,
elra

Elyse said...

Mmm, I love the idea of an almond cupcake! It's hard to believe that a cupcake with so much natural oil would stick so much to the pan--how annoying! Glad you were able to get three perfect cupcakes out. And they are perfect--just gorgeous! Especially with that yummy frosting :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin