Monday, April 06, 2009

Magazine Monday #35: Ricotta Cookies

I got this huge, 2lb container of ricotta cheese in the States for just under $3 (a container half that size goes for $5.99 at my local overpriced grocery store). I made some ravioli with part of it, and then I decided to make this recipe for Ricotta Cookies that came in the April 2009 issue of Canadian Living. It was part of a section containing a menu for an Italian-inspired brunch, so these cookies might have an Italian root or two.

The recipe is here.

First let me say that the dough was very fluffy and nearly batter-like - and it was very difficult NOT to eat it right out of the bowl with a spoon. It was that good.

The recipe describes the cookies as "cakey" and they definitely were. They were totally awesome, and as you can see, I even went to the trouble of tinting the icing with bright colours. Don't you just love my garish purple cookies? The cream cheese icing is a must - it really finishes off the cookie well.

I loved these, and will probably make another batch this week because I'm donating baking to the SPCA for their bake sale a week from now.

11 comments:

Meg said...

These look and sound delicious. Ricotta is the best.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love ricotta cookies! These look so good!

Cheers,

Rosa

Cathy said...

I've never had a ricotta cookie, but I may just need to do this soon.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Never heard of ricotta cookies. I'll have a look in my magazine. Looks delicious.

jen said...

The cookies look amazing! I just spent time on your Wandering Coyote blog and loved it, loved it, loved it. I adore the potty mouth tag line - you go sistah!

A said...

I think I'm drooling..

Tina said...

Those look good and what a cool idea. I always have associated ricotta with lasagna, manicotti...things like that.

Anonymous said...

These sound sooo good! I'm sure they're so light it barely feels like you've eaten them :). At least that's how I'd justify chowing down on them!

Donna-FFW said...

UMM< I am like soooo imitating this recipe next month..

Elyse said...

Mmm, I love the idea of a cakey ricotta cookie. They sound delicious! They look precious, too. Ricotta adds such a great texture and delicacy to baked goods. Perfect use of one of my favorite cheeses.

creampuff said...

I love ricotta cookies. There's something very comforting about them. Great job!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin