Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Puffed Wheat Squares

These seem to be normal coffee shop fare around these parts, and I first got addicted to them when I worked at a coffee bar in Trail about year ago. Now, I make them pretty regularly at my current job, where I help bake for the coffee shop at the hospital. I always lick the bowl! These totally hit the spot when a chocolate craving comes upon me!

Puffed Wheat Squares

1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder
6 cups puffed wheat

1. Melt the first 4 ingredients in a pot over low heat & bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

2. Measure the puffed wheat into a large bowl, and stir in the chocolate syrup mixture until well combined.

3. Press into a greased 8x8" square pan. Cool completely. Cut and serve.

Enjoy!

14 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

By "puffed wheat" do you mean like Honey Smacks? (when I was a kid they called them Sugar Smacks). If so, my husband would love these. Let me know.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a great snack!

Cheers,

Rosa

Heather S-G said...

Oh, these sounds like all those fun childhood treats! I always loved Sugar Smacks as a kids...is the puffed wheat you used plain or "coated"?

Donna-FFW said...

Sweetened puff wheat or not? This looks so easy and my kids would like this.. GREAT snack..

Cathy said...

What a great use for puffed wheat! I remember being fed that as "healthy" cereal as a kid....I persevered just so I'd be allowed that one bowl of Count Chocula on Saturdays :)

Van Santos said...

I've never had brown sugar/cocoa powder in mine before. I'm assuming the coca powder helps keep this from getting to sweet....

Dewi said...

I never had this, sounds like a delicious treat.
Cheers,
elra

Wandering Coyote said...

Hi everyone! I had no idea there were so many different kinds of puffed wheat out there! The ones used in this recipe are just the plain ones that come in the gigantic bags!

Van: and the cocoa makes them nice and chocolatey, right?

Cathy: I remember being fed them as a healthy cereal, too, but they are just so full of air that it was never a satisfying meal. I never got anything like Count Chocula growing up!

Bob said...

Mmmm, squarey thingies. Love it! :)

Van Santos said...

Well, yea, chocolatey... but I've had some of these that are uber sweet. I was thinking, depending on the cocoa, it could help temper the treat from getting out of control (sweetness wise)

A said...

intersting...

Meg said...

I love it! Wish I could have some now.

Elyse said...

Mmm, these puffed wheat squares sound delicious! I love puffed wheat. There's something really homey about it. Delicious!

Tia said...

these remind me of childhood!!! so much better than rice krispies in my opinion.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin