Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Aromatic Pork Burgers

I dreamed this recipe up after being inspired by two things: a burger feature in an issue of Canadian Living last summer that had a nice-looking pork burger in it, and the recipe for Aromatic Lemongrass Patties from the Hot Sour Salty Sweet meal I made for my family last month. Those patties were fantastic and at the time I thought they'd make great burgers. So, I created these. They were delish! I served them with Monday's failed Hush Puppies and a lemon garlic mayonnaise I made by mixing some low fat mayo with a few drops of lemon juice and half a clove of garlic, grated.

Aromatic Pork Burgers

1/2 lb ground pork
1 1/2 tsp lemon grass powder
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 tsp soy sauce

Combine all ingredients well, form into two patties, and grill. It's not quite BBQ season here, but until it arrives I made do with my roommate's mini George Foreman grill. It works.

Lemongrass powder is my new favourite thing. As I wrote in the HSSS post, our local overpriced grocery store sells it in the bulk bins, and though I'm sure it's not as punchy as real lemongrass, it's still very tasty - and it's much easier to work with.

These burgers were lovely, as I said, and the flavoured mayo was an excellent accompaniment.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

With lemongrass, that's wonderful! These birgers must be delicious!

cheers,

Rosa

Coleens Recipes said...

I'm so excited about this recipe since I love pork and I'm always looking for ways to use it. The thought of a pork burger really intriques me. Thanks for posting.

Donna-FFW said...

Oh, awesome lemongrass in the pork burgers.. you are a genious, love this idea. Brilliant!! This is calling out to me.. so unique!

Cathy said...

Yum! I absolutely adore pork burgers...there is something about them that I prefer to a regular burger made from beef.

Sara said...

I have never made pork burgers before, I think it's about time I tried. I love lemongrass!

Elyse said...

Wow, these do sound totally delicious! I love the idea of non-red meat burgers. And pork can be so moist and flavorful. I can't wait to try these out!

Tina said...

Looks good. What a coincidence - I thawed out my Greek pork patties that I made awhile back. That's the leftover dinner tonight!

tshsmom said...

Pork burgers sound great! I'll have to try this if our grill ever reappears out of the snow drift.

Van Santos said...

Lemongrass is a nice touch! Have you tried using Lemongrass paste when making your mayonnaise? I've found that the paste adds for a very balanced taste.

This recipe looks really good, btw, all around. I can almost taste the cilantro/lemon grass mix.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin