Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Braised Roast Beast

For some reason, I was recently craving roast beast. This is not normal for me. Roast beast is OK, but not something I'd go out of my way to make for myself. Also, I was becoming nostalgic for a dish my mom used to make when we were young: Swiss Steak. (I always confuse Swiss Steak with Salisbury Steak, even though the two are totally different. I have no idea why, since my mom never made Salisbury Steak.)

Anyway, I found a small roast at the local overpriced grocery store on the weekend, an inside round roast weighing approximately .75kg that cost me just over $6.50. This is what I did with it.

First of all, I seasoned it.
Then, I seared it on all sides in my cast iron pot with a tiny bit of oil.
While the roast beast seared, I gathered these ingredients:
After the beast was nice and seared, I removed it from the pot and deglazed the pot with the tomatoes. I added the onion, garlic (sliced), and other ingredients and brought it to a boil. I added the beast back to the pot, and stuck the whole thing in a pre-heated, 350F oven, for about 40 minutes (I like my beast still pink in the middle). After that time, I got this:
I let the beast rest, then took it out and sliced it. I served the meal over rice.
This was excellent, and very much reminiscent of my mom's Swiss Steak. I'll definitely do roast beast this way again! And bonus - it was all done in one pot, so the clean-up was simple!

12 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

When my kids were all young, they called it "roast beast" too. Your recipe title made me smile.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That braised roast beef looks icredibly good! What an appetizing plate!

Cheers,

Rosa

Donna-FFW said...

I will have to have to make this for my FFH. He adores huge hunks of roast beast, and this is right up his alley. He thanks you in advance.. me too for the ease of the recipe!

Karen said...

My dad used to make us Swiss Steak all the time! I love it! Although since I don't eat beef that often, I'll make it with pork loin chops which is fabulous. I'd never thought to do this with a roast though. Hmmm. If I liked beef more, I'd certainly have to give it a go.

Cathy said...

I crave a roast about twice a year - this looks delicious!

Monica Cassani said...

now this I would call pot roast?? is that term used where you are??

looks very yummy...I do beef roasts about twice a year...love them but grass fed organic beef is outrageously expensive and so don't do it so often anymore...

Elyse said...

Mmm, this looks delicious! I've never had Swiss steak before. So glad this dish turned out super yummy--and brought back wonderful memories of your mom's cooking!

Dewi said...

Absolutely delicious. I like everything braised.
Cheers,
elra

tshsmom said...

I never thought of using a roast for Swiss Steak!
That's exactly how I make Swiss Steak, except I add some green beans and serve it on mashed potatoes.

I giggled at the roast "beast". That's what we say too. ;)

Thistlemoon said...

I don't think I have ever had swiss steak, although my grandmother made salisbury steak quite often! LOL! This looks great, BTW.

Judith said...

It must be telepathy or great minds think alike! I was craving roast beast; I couldn't remember the last time I had red meat. I went to our new No Frills supermarket and what did they have on sale but large eye of the round roasts. I dug around until I found the smallest 1. Got home and cut the roast in 2 and froze 1. Last Sat. night I had roast beast with roast veggies, gravy and slow cooker apple crumble for dessert. What a feast! Still eating leftovers despite giving Tilly a few slices with her suppers but that's OK. It's been a treat but I don't think I'll have any more for a while. And apple crumble in the slow cooker! How easy is that!

Van Santos said...

This looks fantastic, WC. The mushrooms, the rice... perfect.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin