Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Life is a Box of Chocolates, and Father's Day Dinner & Updates

So, one weekend my cat gets sick, the next weekend I get sick. There is obviously something in the water up here. Yesterday, I had to bail on work, but I was feeling well enough to go in this morning and bake, so that's what I did.

Technically, what I do at this place is categorized as volunteering, though I do get a supplement to my disability pension that makes life a lot easier for me, but the organization itself doesn't pay me. They are always telling me how well I do my job and how good the kitchen smells when I'm in there baking, and today I was presented with a lovely gift from the staff as a token of their appreciation. I got a really nice card, a huge box of chocolate, and a gift certificate to a store I regularly haunt. I was so surprised - even more so because I was up to my elbows in muffin batter at the time of presentation!
Nice, eh? It felt so great to be so appreciated. I can't tell you what this meant to me!

Sunday was Father's Day, as many of you might know, and my family & I celebrated with a dinner I held at my place. I made this chicken lasagne, which my father had been nagging me for since my article containing the recipe came out. My brother brought some focaccia bread from Safeway, and for dessert I served a selection of desserts: spicy molasses cookies, snickerdoodles, and sour cherry loaf.
And here is Juno, the cat who caused me so much stress a couple of weekends ago! She loves to roll onto her back, tuck up her feet, and show me her belly. I don't know why, because if I try to tickle the belly, she bites me. I always find it funny when she assumes this position; it reminds me of a seal!
FYI, I talked to the cook today about last week's Hawaiian Rice adventure, and he said it was great and that it was very much like a rice pudding! He really liked it, and said the residents did, too!

14 comments:

Karen said...

What a lovely surprise! Good for you. Hope you feel better soon.

Donna-FFW said...

How nice you received the chocolates. Nice to be appreciated. our dessert platter looks lovely! Nice choice of three wonderful items. I have to go back and check that hawaiian rice, sounds marvelous!

Cathy said...

Aw, that's great. It's so nice when people actually tell you how much they appreciate you!

Tina said...

Oh wow....those look amazing. It DOES make you feel so appreciated when people do things like that. Sounds like you work with very kind people.

Father's day dinner sounds great. Can't go wrong with lasagna! Juno is a cutie...nice pose.

NKP said...

That chicken lasagna is calling my name.
So nice to be recognized and appreciated for your efforts and hard work.
And so nice to see kitty back to her old self.

Bob said...

How sweet, it must be nice to do a job where you are appreciated. Heh, Noodles does the same thing, baring her stomach and then attacking you when you try to pet her.

Heather S-G said...

Aw, that was so nice :) The lasagna sounds yummy and know what...one of my cats does the same thing and then attacks my hand if I rub his belly. Felines. And I cannot believe the rice!! Now I really want to try it :)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

What a nice box of chocolates. And your meal was great.

Coleens Recipes said...

Chicken lasagna, what a great idea. What is that pan liner in the photo?

Reeni said...

The chocolates are a sweet treat and show of appreciation for you. I could dive right into that chicken lasagna and that dessert platter! Delicious!

Wandering Coyote said...

Coleen: it's parchment paper.

Anonymous said...

It's great they gave you the chocolates. They look yummy! That's my kinda gift. And, your whole meal looks sooooo good! I'd definitely have eaten way more than my fair share!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add I hope you're feeling better, and I'm glad Juno is doing well! My dog likes to lay on his back like that, too. We also call him a seal!

Wandering Coyote said...

Thanks everyone for your great comments! I know I don't get back to you all individually very often, but I do appreciate all the comments you leave!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin