Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Dad's Plaited Loaf

My dad was very good about making an emergency trip to the vet's this past weekend, so I owed him a loaf of bread big-time. Dad doesn't believe in white flour at all, so the loaves I make for him are often dense, rich, and a bit funny-looking because of their low gluten content. He's totally OK with this, plus he buys me the ingredients, so I'm not complaining.

Tuesday, I made a version of the Healthy Heart loaf I posted here quite some time ago. I added 1 tbsp of vital gluten to the recipe, and used barley malt syrup instead of sugar. I also put in a spice blend my dad got specifically for his loaves.

I decided to make this an extra special loaf by braiding it.
I haven't done this in a while, so it looked a little weird...
To me, it looked like a section of intestine, but whatever. I egg-washed it and added some poppy seeds...And the end product looked like this:Dad said it was super! He said the consistency is perfect! Thanks, Dad!

13 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very nice!

Cheers,

Rosa

Dewi said...

Beautiful braided bread you have here, and oh that healthy heart bread sounds like worth trying. The kind of bread I need to make my heart happy!

Coleens Recipes said...

Beautiful braid! I think you did a marvelous job and thanks to dads who lend a helping hand.

Denise said...

That is one beautiful loaf of braided bread...

Karen said...

Wow. That looks fabulous. Not a fan of the poppyseeds but I'd take a bite if it was offered :)

Tina said...

Very cool....I am still fighting with plain old bread and the plaited loaf....well, it will give me something to aspire to!

Looks quite hearty.

Cathy said...

That looks great - I love the visual effect of braided bread.

Zoe said...

Looks like challah! Yum!

Heather S-G said...

Looks amazing to me!! It's so glossy and inviting.

NKP said...

It turned out beautifully! What gorgeous colour.

Reeni said...

It's beautiful!! And a bonus that it's so healthy!

Bob said...

Gorgeous! You should see what happened the last time I tried to make a braided loaf, the less said about it the better. Heh.

Anonymous said...

Looks weird, hell, it looks fantastic to me! I envy your dad for getting this! What a nice gift for a great guy.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin