Thursday, June 25, 2009

Plaited Loaf: Redux

It was necessary to take Juno, my cat, to the vet again today. It's a long story, but she's OK. It was kind of an impromptu trip once more, so as my dad taxied me home - once more - I told him I'd bake him another loaf, since he thought the last one was so fantastic.

So, I came up with this recipe. I really enjoyed braiding the last loaf but realized I needed to practice my rope-making and braiding skills, so I decided to make another plaited loaf.

The recipe itself is a variation of the Healthy Heart loaf I've made and blogged about previously.

Sesame Flax Loaf

3 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flax meal
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 tbsp instant yeast
1 tbsp vital gluten
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp barley malt syrup
1 1/3 cups (approx.) water
poppy seeds

Directions here.

I just talked to my dad and the bread is a hit!


11 comments:

Bob said...

Holy crap, that is gorgeous. I think I mentioned this last time, but I can't braid at all. I made challah once and it looks like it was made by a blind chimp.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a beautiful loaf! Great job!

Cheers,

Rosa

Wandering Coyote said...

Bob: it is sooooooo easy it's not even funny. Just takes a bit of practice, but once you get the knack, it's a cinch!

Rosa: Thanks!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I hope your cat will get better.

This is a nice loaf you made.

Coleens Recipes said...

Gorgeous bread! I think you have braiding down to a science now.

NKP said...

You are so good with the braiding! Looks professional. I really like that recipe too, nice and healthy.

Karen said...

Is there anything better than homemade bread? Mmmmm!

Donna-FFW said...

Wow, that is one amzing looking loaf! You made it so beautifully and it is so evenly colored. Hats off to you!

Reeni said...

This looks crusty and so yummy! The braid is perfect. Glad kitty is OK.

Heather S-G said...

stop making it look so easy...

Wandering Coyote said...

Girlichef: but it IS so easy!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin