Thursday, June 25, 2009

Plaited Loaf: Redux

It was necessary to take Juno, my cat, to the vet again today. It's a long story, but she's OK. It was kind of an impromptu trip once more, so as my dad taxied me home - once more - I told him I'd bake him another loaf, since he thought the last one was so fantastic.

So, I came up with this recipe. I really enjoyed braiding the last loaf but realized I needed to practice my rope-making and braiding skills, so I decided to make another plaited loaf.

The recipe itself is a variation of the Healthy Heart loaf I've made and blogged about previously.

Sesame Flax Loaf

3 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flax meal
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 tbsp instant yeast
1 tbsp vital gluten
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp barley malt syrup
1 1/3 cups (approx.) water
poppy seeds

Directions here.

I just talked to my dad and the bread is a hit!


11 comments:

Bob said...

Holy crap, that is gorgeous. I think I mentioned this last time, but I can't braid at all. I made challah once and it looks like it was made by a blind chimp.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a beautiful loaf! Great job!

Cheers,

Rosa

Wandering Coyote said...

Bob: it is sooooooo easy it's not even funny. Just takes a bit of practice, but once you get the knack, it's a cinch!

Rosa: Thanks!

Helene said...

I hope your cat will get better.

This is a nice loaf you made.

Coleen's Recipes said...

Gorgeous bread! I think you have braiding down to a science now.

Natashya said...

You are so good with the braiding! Looks professional. I really like that recipe too, nice and healthy.

Captain Karen said...

Is there anything better than homemade bread? Mmmmm!

Donna-FFW said...

Wow, that is one amzing looking loaf! You made it so beautifully and it is so evenly colored. Hats off to you!

Reeni♥ said...

This looks crusty and so yummy! The braid is perfect. Glad kitty is OK.

girlichef said...

stop making it look so easy...

Wandering Coyote said...

Girlichef: but it IS so easy!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin