Friday, June 19, 2009

Restaurant Review: Nelson Fisherman's Market

Today Dad and I took one of our frequent trips to Nelson, ostensibly for the purpose of shopping at Save-on Foods, but we always have lunch, too, and we always debate and agonize where to go to eat. This time, Dad actually suggested the Nelson Fisherman's Market, even though he detests fish. We'd never been there before but had heard good things about it. One side of the business is an actual fisherman's market, selling fresh and frozen fish and shellfish, and local hormone, grass-fed beef from Creston in addition to other meat products in a small butchery section. The other side of the business is a fish & chip shop - I think it's called The Dock, but I can't find anything online to confirm this. The address is 577 Ward St. In addition to fish & chips, there is a beef burger option, which is what my dad went for. I had cod & chips.

My meal came wrapped in a newspaper cone and the presentation was really cool. Unfortunately, I found it a bit awkward and eventually asked for a plate. I didn't really want to eat this with my hands. My dad's burger came in a little basket with plenty of chips and he said it was really good. The coleslaw that came with my meal was nice and creamy, just how I like it.

The fish was excellent! The batter was lightly seasoned and feather-light, and the cod was perfectly cooked - moist and flaky. The chips were excellent, too, and you can always tell the ones that are fresh cut on the premises and blanched before deep-frying. A simple iced tea topped off my meal and I came away very satisfied.

There was one dessert on offer, and here is the little sign advertising it:
I though this was kind of funny, but as you can see, it's apple pie and nothing made from seal meat. But both Dad and I were too full to partake.

Lunch for the two of us was about $24 with drinks. The service was nice & friendly and the atmosphere was casual and relaxed. Here is a shot of the interior:Definitely a recommend in my books if you're ever in Nelson and in the mood for great fish & chips. Next time I'm trying the calamari.

3 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

Going out to dinner with you dad.....priceless.

Reeni said...

The fish and chips look great! I love the flipper dessert! Is kitty on the mend?

Wandering Coyote said...

Coleen: Yep, it sure is!

Reeni: Too bad we were too full for dessert otherwise I totally would have gone for it! Kitteh is better!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin