Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Zucchini Hummus

I had some leftover zucchini kicking around my fridge this week, and way, way at the back of the fridge, I had a bit of tahini languishing, too. Last week, the the issue of Clean Eating Magazine came out and this recipe was in there. I immediately bookmarked it and made it this afternoon.

"Raw" Beanless Zucchini Hummus, adapted by moi

3 raw zucchinis, peeled & chopped
6 tbsp lemon juice
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 cup raw tahini
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
salt to taste

Blend everything except cilantro in a food processor until smooth. Add cilantro after desired consistency & flavour is achieved.

The original recipe called for soaked sesame or sunflower seeds, which I didn't see as necessary, and I didn't have any turmeric or cayenne pepper as specified, either. I added the cilantro on my own because I just love the stuff.

The recipe's write-up claimed that you wouldn't be able to tell that there weren't chickpeas in this, and it was actually right. I quite like this recipe because it's much lighter in texture than a lot of hummuses I've had in my time.

Totally a keeper recipe!

14 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very interesting and surely delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Cathy said...

I saw that one too! I'm going to give it a try.

Monica Cassani said...

this sounds awesome and will definitely try it...I've got some unused zucchini in the fridge now too as well as tahini...

I can make some variation on the theme TONIGHT and I think I will!

Monica Cassani said...

oh my god...talk about instant gratification...I just made it!!

I had a LARGE green zucchini and a smaller yellow one...I left the skins on for nutritional value but it looks just like yours so aesthetics were not messed up at all...

also it's exactly like you said you CANNOT tell it has no garbanzo beans.

I put cumin and cayenne but not paprika or cilantro...

I didn't have enough liquid so I added olive oil and extra lemon juice...I also used probably 3/4 of a cup of tahini...

awesome...it filled up my cuisanart to the max..perfectly...

thanks!

Wandering Coyote said...

Gianna: Wow! You're fast! I'm glad you liked it so much. Thanks for the feedback!

Monica Cassani said...

sorry to be back...mine actually has less green then yours...it really looks like hummus zucchini skins and all...hubby loves it too.

Monica Cassani said...

oh...I missed your comment WC...we cross posted I guess..

THANK YOU for giving me the opportunity to give you feedback...

:-)

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I love hummus.

Heather S-G said...

I am a hummus junkie...so I know I wouldn't replace it with this...but I could definitely supplement. It sounds tasty.

Reeni said...

I was craving hummus real bad today! This is so creative to use the zucchini instead of beans. Great idea, sounds delicious!

Donna-FFW said...

Love the idea of subbing the zucchini for the beans. It sounds like a fabulous dish, and so simple to make. I love those types of foods.

Bob said...

Interesting, I'll have to try that out.

Denise said...

I love humus, this is such a different take on it. looks good

Anonymous said...

I'll surely be trying this to get rid of some of the zucchini from my garden. I can only take so much zucchini bread after all!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin