Monday, June 22, 2009

Hawaiian Rice

So, the place where I work provides dinner for the residents, and dinner always includes a dessert. The menu rotates over 8 weeks, and last Monday happened to be Hawaiian Rice night. I've never been around for Hawaiian Rice night.

The relief cook hadn't been around for Hawaiian Rice night, either, because when he looked at the recipe, he was really skeptical. He thought it looked weird and was asking if I'd ever seen the regular cook make it before, and if I'd ever tasted it, etc. I said no, it was a first for me, too.

It does look strange - kind of like a combination of ambrosia salad and rice pudding. Here is the recipe.

Hawaiian Rice (makes 6 servings)

1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 cup mini marshmallows
3/4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- combine these ingredients and chill for 3 hours

Add: 1 cup cool whip or whipped cream and 3 tbsp sugar. Fold into rice mixture. Chill again. Sprinkle with coconut. Serve.
Here is step one...

Here it is just before step two...

My shift ended before the dessert was finished so I have no idea how this turned out. But I will see the cook again soon and ask him how it went.

What do you think? Does this appeal to you or not?

11 comments:

la said...

*STARES BLANKLY*

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love such rice dishes!


Cheers,

Rosa

Denise said...

Im not sure, I am not a big marshmallow fan.

Cathy said...

uh.....gag

Heather S-G said...

It appeals to me in that it is soooo fascinating that I have that insane urge to try it!

Bob said...

... hm. Weird. But it reminds me of a jello salad my mom used to make, so I'd definitely try it.

Tina said...

I like ambrosia...but I've never had this dish...I'd try it!

By the way, you have replaced Nigella in my husband's heart and stomach! He LOVES your lemon artichoke chicken...me too :-)

Reeni said...

It sounds like a weird rice pudding! Everything sounds good but the marshmallows.

Dewi said...

I never had rice like this before, this is very interesting indeed. I made fried rice with pineapple, but never made the sweet version.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

What a nice rice. Tasty dish.

Coleens Recipes said...

Maybe if the rice was cooked in sugar water...skip the marshmallows and add some fresh fruit, a little mint and whipped cream? Hmmmmmmm, I just don't know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin