Friday, November 13, 2009

When in Doubt, Make Lasagna

This doesn't happen very often, but I made a crappy spaghetti sauce the other night.

The inspiration for this came when I was walking by the meat section in the LOGS (local overpriced grocery store) and there were some nice sausages on sale. They were pork souvlaki sausages. There were four of the suckers there for under $3! How could I resist? Thinking of the flavours in souvlaki, I thought these would be great in spaghetti sauce. When I unwrapped them, the smelled of garlic & oregano and no lemon; I thought I was safe.

Ugh. I didn't like the sauce. I had one meal from it with pasta and wondered what to do with the rest of the pot. I certainly didn't want to waste it at all. I am too cheap to do that.

Would this be any good in lasagna, I wondered? I had ricotta cheese left over from cross-border shopping; all I really needed was some mozzarella cheese. I went for it.

Thank God this worked out! The sauce made a far better lasagna than a spaghetti sauce, which was a huge relief. I guess you can add ricotta cheese to anything and it'll turn out (right Palidor?). Or maybe the flavours had some time to mellow. I don't know, but it was a kick ass lasagna, and 7 out of 8 pieces of it went into the freezer! Woo-hoo!

12 comments:

Palidor said...

Omg, as I was reading your post, I was thinking that if you add some ricotta and maybe some mozzarella cheese, you can probably save the sauce! Gosh, you really know me don't you, Wandering Coyote? ;-)

Tina said...

That's great that you found a way to salvage a pasta sauce. That's too expensive to toss out, I totally agree there.

Love lasgana. I always end up freezing a slab.

NKP said...

Great idea to do a lasagna, the souvlaki sausages sound intriguing.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Your lasagna looks wonderful!

Cheers,

Rosa

Coleens Recipes said...

It looks delicious, way to hang in there!!! I've never seen a savory dish lined with parchment paper before...excellent idea!!!

Dewi said...

Mhhh, that sounds wonderful. Ricotta cheese sure add sweetness to it.

Kim said...

Awesome way to use your sauce in a lasagna. I love how you used the parchment, great idea!

Heather S-G said...

Just looking at the pic has me wanting some. Cheesy deliciousness.

Chris said...

Nice recovery:)

Reeni said...

I've never seen a souvlaki sausage. Lasagna looks delicious! Glad it turned out good. Great save.

Anonymous said...

LOGS : ) ... ~ giggles ~ !!!

This looks perfect W...and great that you have it all ready for a quick dinner/ lunch... I need to look at this alternative...sometimes i feel like I am slaving away cooking all day over and over again... when I have a FREEZER ! uggh..

Anonymous said...

oh man, I haven't made lasagne in such a long time. It's sooooo good. Loved reading the post, nice recovery. :-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin