Sunday, November 08, 2009

Magazine Monday #54: Chicken Soup

I've been keeping myself busy with NaNoWriMo (or my version of it) and if you want to see my latest update you can do so here. If I've been quieter around blog land, this is why. I'm surprised at how productive I am with this novel-writing thing; it's going better than I expected!

I haven't made a new Magazine Monday recipe to post this week, so I thought I'd repost a recipe I initially posted here in October 2005. The original post is here. This is, once again, a Canadian Living recipe, and for some reason, I haven't made it in ages! I'd better remedy that!

This recipe isn't in the CL online recipe database; knowing those guys, it's probably been taken off because the recipe is in one of their cookbooks.

Chicken Noodle Soup

2 tbsp vegetable oil
12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 grated carrot
1 tsp each dried oregano and basil
4 cups chicken stock
2 tsp Dijon mustard
3 oz. spaghettini, broken up (about 1 cup)
2 cups sliced celery
2 tbsp all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
salt & pepper to taste

1. Brown chicken is a large saucepan with oil. Remove to a bowl. Add onion & carrot and saute until onion is softened.
2. Add stock and mustard; bring to boil. Stir in celery and pasta and return to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer until noodles are almost tender. Add chicken with accumulated juices and cook for 5 minutes longer.
3. Whisk flour into milk and gradually whisk this into the soup. Simmer, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve and enjoy!

10 comments:

Palidor said...

Chicken soup is perfect anytime of the year, but most especially during cold weather! Glad your writing is coming along nicely. BTW, did you get the e-mail I sent you yesterday? Just let me know whether it arrived or not... I'm always a little suspicious of my e-mail server.

Coleens Recipes said...

I love homemade chicken soup!! Your addition of mustard is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A lovely soup! Homemade, how yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Chris said...

You're probably right about why it doesn't show up, funny! Looks like a good recipe to me.

NKP said...

Mmm, I could use a big bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup right about now.

Tina said...

Fabulous as usual! I'll print this one when I get back to work.

I missed you these past few days - I have an award for you over at my blog - swing by and pick it up!

Reeni said...

I'm putting mustard in my soup next time! sounds delicious!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

With the colder days now a good soup is welcome in any home.

Donna-FFW said...

Nothing like a delicious steaming bowl of chicken soup..

creampuff said...

Chicken soup is the ultimate! One of my top three comfort dishes. Love the illustration!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin