Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Apple Pizza

This is the second recipe I've made from Lucy Waverman's A Year in Lucy's Kitchen. The original recipe calls for plums, but I don't like plums and a had a whack of apples on hand that my dad had acquired from his neighbour. The original also specifies an 8" springform pan, but I only have a 9" and so I decided to make this into more of an apple tart, using my 9" ceramic tart pan (there was too much crust for my 8" tart pan with removable side to accommodate). I was attracted to this recipe because of its simplicity - which is what this book is all about. The end result was marvelous! This was a lovely tart and I'll for sure make it again.

Apple Tart (adapted from Lucy Waverman's Plum Pizza recipe on page 208 of A Year in Lucy's Kitchen)

Crust:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed

- sift dry ingredients together and add butter, cutting in to make a coarse meal. press into tart pan. bake @ 350F for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.

Filling:

4 apples, peeled & cored, & sliced in to thick slices
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup whipping cream

- toss apple slices with sugar & cinnamon. arrange over crust.
- whisk yolks & cream; pour over apples
- bake @ 350F for 35 - 45 minutes, or until custard is golden & apples are softened
- serve & enjoy!

Like I said, this was wonderful! I even ate it for breakfast one morning!

12 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A wonderful idea! It looks really scrumptious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Donna-FFW said...

What a delicious simple idea. It produces a gorgeous dessert.

Palidor said...

I don't like plums either. What a delicious dessert pizza/tart! It would be great for meal of the day.

Karen said...

When I saw the title of this post, I was worried. However, that sounds absolutely delicious. I'm saving this one for sure.

Heather S-G said...

mmmmm, pizza for dessert...I like! And how much do I love the term "a whack"!? (so much)

Chris said...

I guess that WOULD make perfect leftover pizza for breakfast!

NKP said...

That does look really tasty! I love cooked apples.

monicajane said...

it's beautiful...I want to do more with apples this year.

I have to figure out how to bake with flours other than wheat.

Reeni said...

A tasty breakfast treat! It look so rustic. Love it.

Tina said...

I could eat this for dessert or breakfast..really. Love apples.

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic...the picture made me crave it right now. I wonder if Mango's would be a good alternative to apples ?

Wandering Coyote said...

Nat: not sure how mangoes would work. Very different texture and much more liquid in them. They might need a thickening agent of some kind.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin