Thursday, November 19, 2009

Buttermilk Biscuits

Here is my latest NaNoWriMo update, including excerpt!

This is the recipe for the biscuits I made with the seafood chowder in yesterday's post. I used the technique of grating the butter with a grater, as I learned in the pastry recipe for that no-bake pumpkin pie I made around Thanksgiving last month. It worked like a charm! These biscuits were wonderful. I have no idea where I got this recipe from, but I've had it for a long time. As I mentioned yesterday, I used some lemon pepper in them for a bit of zip.

Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup buttermilk

1. Whisk together dry ingredients. Grate the butter into the mixture & toss to combine. Add buttermilk and mix just enough to blend together. Do not overmix!

2. Roll or pat dough to desired thickness - anywhere from 1/2" - almost 1" (but be aware that the thicker you pat the dough, the longer these will take to cook through). Cut. Bake at 425F until done.

14 comments:

Pity said...

well done! these look lovely, and very easy to make, wil try them soon, cheers from london

Donna-FFW said...

The lemon pepper must have added nice flavor, perfect companion to that delicious chowder Im still thinking about.

Palidor said...

Mmmm, I'd love one right out of the oven and slathered with butter!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this recipe W, also the tip on grating the butter...i guess that is the trick for a flakier biscuit ?... Need to find some lemon pepper in time for next week....I also love the shape of these...since i don't have a biscuit cutter you have saved me from a world of confusion : ) ...

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

well crap... I had my first biscuit recipe all picked out for T-day and now this beauty comes up. I love the look of this! Thanks for these tips, excellent well timed post, even if I am very confused as to what to do...

any reason I couldn't add sharp cheddar cheese and top with chopped garlic?

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

They are beautiful and look so good!

Cheers,

Rosa

Bob said...

Wow, those look awesome! Buttermilk biscuits are one of the best things.

Wandering Coyote said...

Dave: there's no reason at all - go for it!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

You're a blogging machine. These buttermilk biscuits look tender and flaky.

Dewi said...

Delicious, I love buttermilk biscuits.

Kim said...

OH MY!! Don't they look delicious!! Thanks for the tip about grating the butter in. I've never heard of that, but it's a great idea!

Chris said...

I love how these look, great variation of the standard biscuit cutter recipe. Nice tip on the butter.

Reeni said...

These look delicious! Such a great idea to grate the butter. And how excellent that your up to 30,000 words! Woo-hoo!

Coleens Recipes said...

Biscuits are one of those food items that you either have total control or hocky pucks...mine are usually hocky pucks....yours look great!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin