Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Seafood Chowder

During my last cross border shopping trip, I picked up two cans of clams for really cheap, with the intention of making clam chowder. But I also found a halibut tail end fillet on special at LOGS the other day, so I decided to make a seafood chowder.

One of my very first posts on this blog, back in January 2005, was about a seafood chowder I made when I was living in Vancouver. Vancouver is the mecca for amazing Pacific coast seafood, and I miss that about living there a lot.

I basically used the method in that post. Only, I didn't have any white wine on hand, which made a huge difference in the flavour of the broth. I also used half & half cream instead of full whipping cream.

It was a great chowder! I got enough for four meals plus I froze four more, so it was very economical.

I served the chowder with buttermilk biscuits I made with some lemon pepper. I'll post the recipe for those tomorrow.

13 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Seafood chowder sounds delicious on this chilly day. Youve been blogging for 3-4 years, how impressive! Cant wait to see your buttermilk biscuit recipe.

Palidor said...

Yum! I love seafood chowder. Half & half is better as that way it isn't so rich and you can eat more. :-)

Anonymous said...

My husband LOVES Seafood Chowder...he would go crazy if i surprised him with this as i've never made it at home ...& with the addition of the white wine i have no doubt it was remarkable!...

PS: home made lemon pepper buiscuts ?...Amazing combination...

Suzie Ridler said...

Looks fantastic to me! Must be that time of year, time to make chowder. I just had some at the restaurant at Peggy's Cove yesterday and wrote about it. That's cool your family is here! I miss Vancouver and Vancouver Island desperately though. Nothing better than the Pacific Northwest.

Anonymous said...

I'm making chowder tonight for dinner. Must be a chowder kind of day. This looks delicious. Thanks for the post.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I love a seafood chowder... Have never made it, but sounds easy... Why did you drink all the white wine? You have got to learn to save some for the meal

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A wonderful chowder! So comforting and pleasing!

Cheers,

Rosa

monicajane said...

sounds wonderful and delightful and makes me think of eating "Zuppa di pesce" that my dad used to make...

it did not have bacon or cream....and it had parsley...what's the green stuff in yours? I may have missed it but I didn't see what it might be.

on my list of to dos...

NKP said...

Mmm, so warm and comforting. I could use a big bowl of that chowder right about now.

Kim said...

You've been blogging for a long time, that is inspiring! Yum- chowder and biscuits sounds perfect right now!

Tina said...

I haven't had a seafood chowder in quite awhile. Despite living near the coast, I don't usually order it.

Now yours...well, I'd love a bowl of this :-)

Reeni said...

I didn't know you were blogging for so long! Your a pro! This looks yummy - just what I need on after a cold day of raking leaves.

Wandering Coyote said...

Thanks for all your comments, guys! Yep, ReTorte will turn 5 in January 2010! It's come a long way, baby, let me tell you!

Dave: Well I don't drink wine at all, so I never had any to begin with!

MJ: I think you're seeing thyme in that picture.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin