Thursday, October 15, 2009

"What To Do With A...": Salmon Melts

I haven't done a post in this series for a while, mainly because I haven't had so many bits & pieces hanging around my fridge, freezer, and pantry lately. But, some time ago, I did purchase a can of sockeye salmon on sale for $2.99 - and it was a larger can, not one of the tuna-sized cans. It was a deal I couldn't refuse, so I went for it. And the can sat there, and sat there...I also had half a brick of cream cheese in the freezer, left over from some long-forgotten baking project. And then I did a column for Bread 'n Molasses featuring my mom's salmon spread, an old family Christmas treat (upcoming in the November issue) ...And inspiration hit! If you can have tuna melts, why not salmon melts? Off I went to get some mozzarella and some English muffins.

Here is what I did:

1 can (large) sockeye salmon
1/2 brick cream cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp dried dill
3 sliced green onions.
a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce
a dash of lemon juice

Mix together. Toast an English muffin about half way. Put salmon filling on muffin. Top with cheese. Broil until cheese is all melting & bubbling.
This was fantastic! If you think cheese on salmon is weird, ask yourself: is cheese on tuna any less weird, when you think about it? This worked and was delicious. I would definitely make this again!

13 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

I'll back you up on the tasty-ness of this sandwich. Here in Alaska,everyones freezer is FULL of salmon, so we use it just about any way you can think of. This is a standard at our house and one that is a big hit with hubby.

Palidor said...

I don't think it's weird at all. I much prefer canned salmon over canned tuna (and so my cats!).

Heather S-G said...

Wow, those look really awesome. I never really thought of having a salmon melt...I will definitely be trying one instead of a tuna melt next time...yum!

NKP said...

Great idea to do a salmon melt. I will have to make this for hubby this weekend! I just made some seaweed bread, it would be excellent for a salmon melt.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

OMG, that looks fantastic and ever so scrumptious! Great idea!

Cheers,

Rosa

Tina said...

Cheese goes with anything...love cheese. I haven't used canned salmon before but this looks like something I would attempt.

Bob said...

I've never understood peoples problem with cheese and fish. Looks great!

Cathy said...

Love salmon melts! It's been forever since I had one..perhaps tonight. Had a bunch of dental work this a.m. and my mouth hurts...this could be perfect!

Anonymous said...

Hi WC...I love melts on toasted bread / muffins... Come to think of it...Salmon and cheese is WAY better than the tuna version in my opinion ! I would love this for brunch with a nice citrusy smoothie ! : )

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

These are beautiful. I love cheese on apple pies AND salmon

Reeni said...

This looks yummy! Love the cream cheese in it!

Unknown said...

Hey, why not salmon melts? I bet the buttery salmon is delicious this way! I would've never thought to use it in place of tuna. What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Those look so good. I've made tuna melts that are very similar and on english muffins. I'll have to try a can of salmon. Thanks for the idea.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin