Thursday, October 22, 2009

Cooking with Kylie: "Mum's Stir-fried Chicken Fillets"

Oh, how I am loving this series I'm doing! I can't get enough of this cookbook, and think I'll take a look on Amazon to see what else Kylie has published, because she's awesome!

Here is another simple recipe from Simple Chinese Cooking that was delicious. I didn't use chicken fillets, but rather I used some chicken breasts because that's what I had on hand. I also didn't use any chilli as the recipe calls for because I don't like them; I used some orange bell pepper instead. The original recipe also calls for stock, but I didn't need any more liquid so I didn't use it. Kylie describes this as one of her mum's "no-nonsense dishes."

Stir-friend Chicken, à la Kylie's mum (adapted by me from "Mum's Stir-fried Chicken Fillets on page 81 of Simple Chinese Cooking)

For the marinade:

1 tbsp sake
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp finely grated ginger
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2cm slices

Combine chicken with marinade ingredients and set aside to marinate for about half an hour.

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 medium white onion, sliced
3 spring onions, trimmed & cut into 10cm lengths
1 tbsp sake
1/2 orange bell pepper, finely sliced

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok until surface appears to shimmer. Add chicken and marinade & stir-fry until cooked. Remove from wok & set aside.

Add 1 tbsp oil to wok & stir-fry onion, pepper, & spring onion for 1 minute. Add chicken and stir-fry for another minute.

I served mine with rice.

Again, yummy, simple, and quick. Again, a winner from Kylie!

16 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

An interesting book! That dish looks really appetizing!

Cheers,

Rosa

Mam said...

I love how you take a recipe and make it your own. I cook the same way, rarely do I duplicate a recipe, instead I use what I have on hand and ingredients I prefer.

Donna-FFW said...

What a fantastic sounding stir fry. Your adaptations are perfect.

Question.. do you find oyster sauce to be overpowering?

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious. Plus I'm adding that cookbook to my wish list on Amazon. Sounds like a "must have"

Palidor said...

Lovely chicken stir-fry! That's very much the type of cooking my mom did when we were growing up. Quick, easy stir-fries with meat and vegetables, and served alongside rice.

Cathy said...

I think I may just have to buy this cookbook. Everything you are making from it looks wonderful!

Wandering Coyote said...

Donna-FFW: No, I don't find oyster sauce overpowering at all in these recipes. The amounts are fairly small.

Chris said...

Splash some sriracha sauce on there and I'm all in. (Ha ha, I know I know....you don't like chilies)

monicajane said...

I'm with Chris...it's begging for heat...looks delicious though!

NKP said...

I can't believe you don't like chilies!
So funny, I was just about to email you to ask which of Kylie's books you were loving.
Great stir-fry, so comforting and delicious looking!

Bob said...

Looks great! I might have to pick up that cookbook...

Anonymous said...

WC, Kylie's mum's recipes are my FAVORITE ! Perhaps her mom ought to publish a book of her own... giggles... : )

This looks perfect WC...and its not so bad you left out the stock as all the marinade and sauce's combined really do so much to the flavor already...

It looks Excellent ! Kylie would be proud !

Reeni said...

The marinade sounds so flavor-filled and delicious! This book is a real winner. It would be great for my Mom for Xmas.

Tina said...

Another one for me to check outta the library....I am so cheap! But I have to be sure I want to part with the money before I order a book. You know.....

Oh, I have a cool magazine for you...it will be a surprise :-)

Dewi said...

That looks really delicious. I have friend who also like her cooking book and use it a lot.

Unknown said...

Looks fantastic! I really need to hunt this book down. You've made some really awesome looking stuff from it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin