Monday, October 12, 2009

Thanksgiving Rundown

This year it was just Dad and me because my brother & SIL were visiting family in another province. But, just because there were only two of us, we did not simplify anything and had the full-on, slap-up Thanksgiving turkey dinner we wanted. On the menu:

  • turkey breast roast (my dad hates everything about turkey except the white meat, so he only buys turkey breast roasts and usually has 3 or 4 of them in his freezer at any given time) roasted with double smoked bacon & sausages made by a local butcher
  • potato cakes made with garlic & Parmesan cheese; a departure for us, but this is an old dish my grandmother used to make apparently
  • stuffing, gravy, yams (only dad eats yams)
  • Brussels Sprouts sauteed with bacon & pinenuts & topped with Parmesan (made by yours truly)
  • and for dessert, Bakewell Tart, also made by yours truly

Here is a nice collage I made of the meal:Everything was delicious! The recipe for the Brussels is basically this one from this post, only I used regular bacon instead of pancetta, and I topped the dish with Parmesan cheese.

As for the dessert, Bakewell Tart, my dad has been nagging me for this for a long time, and I finally gave in for this special occasion. He was so thrilled and so impressed and as soon as he bit into it, he said, "This is it!" I don't know why I put him off on this so long, because it was ridiculously easy to make. Alas, I'm not going to post the recipe because I want to use it for my next Bread 'n Molasses article, so you'll have to wait until January! But here is another collage:The cool thing about this year's Thanksgiving is that we're getting two of them in the family! When my brother & SIL get back from their trip, we're having another turkey dinner! This will be later this week, and I'll be making two dishes for it, too. Those recipes I will definitely share, so stay tuned!

I hope my Canadian readers are having a great long weekend!

Full Flickr set is here.

14 comments:

Palidor said...

What an incredible meal! And even better that you'll get a second Thanksgiving dinner too. Nothing wrong with that. I had not heard of bakewell tart before, but it looks and sounds delicious. Can't wait to see the recipe!

Cathy said...

Great job on dinner! It looks delicious - love the brussels sprouts recipe!

NKP said...

The perfect Thanksgiving dinner! I am loving those potato cakes. We put bacon on the turkey this year too, yum!
For some reason I made two stuffings... and only 3 of us eat it. I have a heck of a lot of stuffing left!

Thistlemoon said...

WOW! That is a beautiful and yummy looking dinner! Love the turkey breasts! YUM.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I'm alone with my son for Thanksgiving dinner tonight and I'm making garlic mashed potatoes, maple roasted veggies, chicken & homemade bread. We have to celebrate even if I'm not with the whole family. Your meal looks delish.

Anonymous said...

A Simply fabulous dinner WC ! Everything looked perfect, home made, warm, welcoming and traditional...a down right PERFECT thanks giving dinner! my favourite I'd have to say was the potato cakes...but over all... its just GORGEOUS ! Can't wait to see Part 2of your yummilicious creations.

monicajane said...

looks great...I am especially drawn to the brussel sprouts.

Will be doing that at some point.

Tina said...

Ohhhhh.... I love all of it. Turkey, bacon and that dessert. Wish I had been at the dining table with you guys.

Really nice job on the collages! You rock.

Coleens Recipes said...

What a great dinner made extra special because you and your dad got to share it. Your post really put me in the mood for OUR Thanksgiving.

A said...

This looks so wonderful! I can't wait for thanksgiving to roll around here

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

OMG, all that food looks gorgeous! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Reeni said...

Everything looks so delicious! How cool that you get to do it again!

Anonymous said...

What a feast for the eyes - I'm stuffed!

Unknown said...

Good Gawd does that look fantastic! I love Thanksgiving meals! The aftermath ain't so cool, though, cause I eat too much. I would've definitely been in that boat if I had all your delicious food!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin