Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Restaurant Review: Funky Mexican Monkey

Last week, Dad and I took another trip to Nelson, and after deciding on one place to go for lunch, we ended up going somewhere completely different on a whim. This new eatery in Nelson, Funky Mexican Monkey, was on our walk to the other place we were going to, but it looked cool from the outside and we decided to give it a try.This location used to house a very excellent restaurant called Kas, but alas, Kas has closed shop and instead we have here a small burger joint that also sells Mexican food. Some of the links on the site aren't working, but if you go here and scroll down, you'll be able to find the entire menu.

The inside is small, a tad cramped, but on the cozy side, complete with a huge collage of monkey photos and even a tree covered with stuffed monkeys. The menu looked good and it was hard to decide on what to get, but I was in a burger mood. The menu states that all burgers are served with "a heaping amount of hand-cut fries" so I was pretty stoked about that. I chose the Funky Monkey Burger, which was essentially a cheese burger that had the addition of a homemade pineapple relish. My dad started out with the Azteca soup, which is a spicy, brothy soup topped with tortilla chips, guacamole, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream - touted by the sign out front to be the local critics' choice for "best soup in Nelson." Dad thought it was really good. He followed up the Portobello Burger, which came topped with Swiss Cheese, roasted red pepper, sauteed red o onions, sliced avocado, and spring mix. He loved it.
The fries were totally excellent and probably the best fries I've had in a long time!

This lunch for two came to about $30. Totally a recommended eatery if you're ever in the Nelson area. Next time, I intend to try out the Mexican food!

15 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Lovely fries!

Cheers,

Rosa

Heather S-G said...

The name alone would be enough to get me to stop it! LOL...sounds great and love the "cozy" atmosphere :D

Donna-FFW said...

Id love to recreate the portabeloo burger at home.

Palidor said...

What humongous fries. The Azteca soup sounds really good.

Tina said...

Fries good enough for Anthony Bourdain? He's a real freak about fries....it looks good, especially the portabellas. You write great restaurant reviews.

Anonymous said...

Love the name. That burger sounds great and so does that soup. I like the idea of pineapple relish. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

hhmmm...pineapple relish ? ! That sounds gorgeous !.... I love Mexican food, would've loved the soup with the tortillas...& my little girl would've loved the monkey decor :)

Cathy said...

Pineapple relish - I need to try and find a recipe for that. I love pineapple.

Bob said...

Pineapple relish?! Awesome! The place sounds great, can't go wrong with hand cut fries.

monicajane said...

I was thinking, where's the mexican food? the portabello mushroom burger sounds great though...used to go to a restaurant that had them in SF.

my husband also made me a portabello sandwich the first time I visited his home when we started dating. It impressed the heck out of me!

Chris said...

Did you try the aioli with your fries? That sounds AWESOME!

Unknown said...

I'm a sucker for great fries, too. They look delish! It's great when you try a new place on a whim, and it pans out nicely.

Reeni said...

Everything sounds delicious!! Love that Azteca soup!

Tia said...

what i remember from Nelson is the teeny tiny DQ! lol... so retro.

Wandering Coyote said...

Tia: That's still there!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin