Monday, October 05, 2009

Gourmet is Calling It Quits

Oh my God! Thanks to Rosa for the heads up regarding Gourmet magazine closing down!

I am a little perturbed about this, mainly because I just renewed my subscription two months ago, and I've paid until August 1, 2010!

There is nothing on Gourmet's site as of yet, and the linked article to the NYT doesn't give a date for the last issue or any pertinent details like that.

I let go of my subscription to Bon Appetit (published by the same company) in favour of keeping Gourmet, because I felt Gourmet was a better bang for my buck and I used way more recipes from it than I did from Bon Appetit.

Anyone else in the same boat as I am?

11 comments:

Dewi said...

I know...
That's apity, isn't it?

NKP said...

I assume we'll get a cheque. That's what happened when TV guide folded. I did the two year renew last time, so am paid way into the future.
I am so sad to hear the news too. I love Gourmet and Ruth Reichl.

Wandering Coyote said...

Did you guys see that Gourmet is putting out a cookbook, though?

Natashya: I hope we get a cheque! I'm a little ticked!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm disgusted and in shock too! I have been reading that magazine since two years, but just suscribed in spring...

Cheers,

Rosa

Donna-FFW said...

Yep. I am renewed till 7/10..

their newly put out cookbook Gourmet today is on sale at BOMC.com for 12.95..

Tina said...

Maybe they will honor your subscriptions and won't shut down for awhile.

That's a bummer. I'm so cheap that I check copies out of the library!

Palidor said...

I read in the Toronto Star that the November issue will be the last one.

Lea Ann said...

I was not a subscriber, but was considering it. I just couldn't decide between Bon Apetite or Gourmet. What a mess and a shame. I assume you'll get some money back.

Lea Ann
www.highlandsranchfoodie.wordpress.com

Tamara (TC) Staples said...

Wow, I can't believe they are shutting down. I don't have a subscription but I love the magazine and usually buy it on the newsstand. I hope they do something to honor your subscription or refund your money.

Reeni said...

I'm bummed. I have a subscription too.

Debbie said...

I use to have a subscription to Gourmet few years ago, I love their recipes but thought the magazine had far too many AD's so I had made the switch to Bon Appetit, felt like I got more recipes out of this magazine. Sad to hear they will be gone. I always check the box to bill me later and renew my subscriptions to these magazines for this very reason. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin