Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Puzzle Time

Last week at work a dessert was sitting on the counter when I arrived. It looked like a vanilla cake with chocolate chips in it. It was decorated with pink & white icing. I was stoked! I love it when residents drop off goodies and I get to sample other peoples' desserts!

As I went through my tasks, the dessert sat next to me. I began to look at it closer... Those were no chocolate chips and that was no cake. Instead, what I seemed to be seeing was as pudding with raisins in it.

The maker of this dessert is Italian and no one seems to remember to ask her what exactly this is.

When I had a break and could taste it, it was very boozy - lots of rum in it, I believe. And it had the texture of unbaked cake batter. What I think it was, however, was lady fingers soaked in booze and mixed with...something...Vanilla custard? Whipped cream & custard? Some combination thereof?

I have no idea, but here's a picture:

So, we have the following elements:

  • booze - rum, I think
  • raisins
  • possibly lady fingers - or some cookies or cake or something, soaked
  • custard - maybe

Does this ring any bells for anyone? I never see this resident and the cook is always too busy to remember to ask! If you know, leave me a comment. Thanks!

16 comments:

Palidor said...

What an interesting dessert! Sorry, I can't help you. Never heard of anything like that!

Cathy said...

Kind of like a weird version of tiramisu?

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a tiramisu ...but minus the chocolate and mascarpone. Looks yummy though...I would've loved some : ) ...the pink forsting is very girlie : ) ...

Jodi said...

Kind of looks like a rum raisin version of Zuppa Inglese -- sponge cake soaked in booze, layered with pastry cream.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Can't help you, sorry. When you mentioned ladyfingers, I suspected some form of tiramisu as well, but not likely what they intended... Does seem oddly Italian though

Wandering Coyote said...

Hopefully, my Italian blog friend Milla will come over here and weigh in on this for us!

Milla said...

Hello! Milla here. I am a lousy Italian because I have NEVER seen this cake before!!
Jody however is right: it might be a kind of zuppa inglese, even though in Italy we make zuppa inglese with pan di spagna as a base, which is a kind of sponge cake. I don't understand those pink things at the top...

Sorry, I am not much help! Perhaps Red will know...

Tina said...

Whatever it is...that looks pretty good. I like the vanilla pudding stuff.

Anonymous said...

Boy, I can't help. Looks kinda crazy but obviously very delicious.

Wandering Coyote said...

Hi, Milla! Thanks for your input!

The pink stuff is just icing - I believe this dessert was intended for a birthday celebration or something like that.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I would not know what it is but it surely looks good.

Donna-FFW said...

Could it be a take on a tiramisu?? It looks yummy. Rum soaked cakes are good with me:)

NKP said...

I'm with Donna, cake soaked in rum is always a good thing.. no matter what the name!

Unknown said...

Whoa...I can't offer any suggestion as to what it might be, but I can guarantee I'd make myself fat eating it! It sounds yummy!

Tina said...

The dessert always grabs me.

I went over to an Italian blogger I like and asked about it. She said it's an Italian rum cake.

Her link is:

http://pegasuslegend-whatscookin.blogspot.com/

Wandering Coyote said...

Thanks, Pierce!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin