Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cooking with Kylie: Prawn WonTons

I adore a good wonton, so it was only a matter of time before I made one of Kylie's recipes for these wonderful meat-filled noodles. What attracted me to this recipe for Prawn Wontons with Spring Onion, Ginger, and Vinegar dressing was the lightness of it: prawn wontons with a simple vinaigrette sounded like comfort food without the heaviness often associated with comfort foods.

Once again, I was not disappointed.

The recipe for this dish is HERE.

Here's how it went.

First of all, I made the dressing, which was easy-peasy. It had an ingredient in it I'd never used before called kecap manis. From what I gathered, this is a condiment similar to soy sauce, but in addition to having soy sauce in it, it also has molasses. It's a little thicker than soy sauce, but it has a richer, more complex flavour. It was really good. The dressing was delicious, and I could see a version of it being used in other dishes as well as with these wontons.

Wontons are easy to make but do take a bit of patience. Again with this recipe, I halved the ingredients, and so I used 150g of my medium shrimp that I usually have in the freezer. To fill the wrappers, I used my #100 cookie scoop, which is about 1 tsp. Using the scoop makes wonton so much easier.

I didn't shape mine in Kylie's way, but I don't think that matters too much. After boiling them, they were ready to be bathed in dressing!This was delicious, absolutely delicious! I was kicking myself for only making 1/2 a recipe because I wanted MORE! Once again, this was very simple to make & put together, just as the cookbook title suggests. Another awesome Kylie recipe!

16 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

I wish I could come over to your kitchen and taste this before I bought all those ingredients...haha, what is the spice level?

Xiaolu said...

Looks and sounds great! I'm definitely a believer that great taste triumphs appearance any day.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

This is among my wife's favorites... Gonna save this recipe

Tina said...

I never heard of kecap manis...is it sold in jars? Frozen? The wontons look great...I was expectimng you to make them with turkey after yesterday's meal. haha

Palidor said...

I love wontons too, and yours look absolutely fantastic.

Cathy said...

ooooh - I have nothing to do this weekend.....a recipe that requires time and patience will be great! I love wontons and you seem to be having such success with Kylie's recipes.....

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, yummy"Those Wontons look really good!

Cheers,

Rosa

Wandering Coyote said...

Coleen: not spicy at all!

Pierce: Kecap manis comes in a bottle like soy sauce. It's similar to soy sauce only has the addition of molasses.

Bob said...

Those look wicked good. I'll have to keep my eye out for kecap manis, I'm intrigued by it.

NKP said...

They do look tasty, I am definitely buying this book!

Anonymous said...

Hi WC, OMG !!! I have Kylie's book too and can tell you apart from the minor difference in shape... your take on it looks EXACTLY like Kylie's ! She would be SO PROUD Of you.... : )

Chris said...

Good tip about the cookie scoop. I might use my melon ball scoop in a similar way.

Wandering Coyote said...

Nat: thanks! I actually thought it looked quite similar to the book, too - woo-hoo!

Chris: I use cookie scoops for all kinds of things. I have three sizes and they are indispensable!

Tina said...

Well I definately want some of that.

monicajane said...

I love wontons...

I grew up making cappelletti...which are related to tortellini...it was a tedious task and us kids had to make hundreds for the holidays.

so I'm quite impressed. I've never done it as an adult because I didn't like filling them.

the sauce sounds and looks great too.

Unknown said...

Yum! They look delish! I'll have to give them a try.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin