Thursday, January 29, 2009

Whitewater Granola Bars

You might recall that I helped my SIL with some catering a couple of weeks ago. One of the things she made for the concession she and her crew ran at the curling rink that weekend was this granola bar recipe, which comes from the Whitewater Cooks cookbook. Whitewater is the ski resort near Nelson, BC which is the city I go to every so often with my dad to shop and have lunch at, so this is a local book and it's in all the local stores. Almost everyone in my family has a copy - except me; I can borrow it whenever I feel the need. And these granola bars are absolutely fantastic! They are sweet and filling and perfect for hiking, picnics, bagged lunches - you name it!

Whitewater Granola Bars

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
6 cups oats
1 cup coconut, toasted
1 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
1 cup sesame seeds, toasted
2 cups chocolate chips (or 1 cup raisins and 1 cup chocolate chips)

In a skillet, toast coconut, and seeds and set aside to cool.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, peanut butter, vanilla, and brown sugar. Add corn syrup and t hen mix in remaining ingredients. Press into a greased 12x18" (half sheet) cookie sheet. Bake @ 350F for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly and cut while still warm.

The note at the bottom of the recipe states that you can substitute toasted almonds and 1 tsp almond extract for the sunflower seeds and vanilla if you want to switch it up a little.

Enjoy!

12 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love Granola Bars! These look really good!

Cheers,

Rosa

Judith said...

They look wonderful but I can hear my arteries furring up already!Do you think I'll be able to have them on Curves Smart?

Meg said...

Yum. I need to try to make my own granola bars.

Wandering Coyote said...

Rosa: these are wickedly good!

Mom: um, definitely not "diet" food! I don't know anything about Curves Smart, but once you find out, let me know.

Meg: It's so worth it, trust me!

Dewi said...

Delicious Granola, It's actually my favorite breakfast.

Momma_of_2 said...

These granola bars are so good, my kids love them, and my husband also. Usually he doesnt go near granola bars, but with these I cant make enough! And they freeze great too :)

lisa said...

These are very good and easy to make, can we get the stats on them, calories, sugar etc...

Wandering Coyote said...

@ Lisa: glad you liked them! Sorry, I have no stats on them and I don't have access to the cookbook right now as it's packed up in a move. I'm not sure the stats were included with the recipe to begin with.

Unknown said...

Hey love the post! Shelley's recipes are fabulous.
Just a quick thing to note - Whitewater is in Nelson (Big White resort is in Kelowna) :)

Wandering Coyote said...

Hi Kaylee! Thanks for stopping by!

Can you tell I don't ski? :D I can't tell my resorts apart! Thanks for correcting my mistake; I'll go correct it in the post now!

Alexis St-Jean said...

I think I spend hundreds of dollars on these granola bars every year at the hill.. time to start making my own... cheers.

Wandering Coyote said...

Hi Alexis! Thanks for commenting!

I get so many Google searches looking for this recipe it makes me feel quite guilty for posting it! I live in fear of getting sued for copyright infringement for posting it here!

But in all seriousness, they are wicked and I'm glad I could help you out! And it's a really cool cookbook, too, if you're interested in any of the other recipes they make at the hill. :

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin