Monday, January 05, 2009

Magazine Monday #23: Lemon Artichoke Chicken

The Jan/Feb issue of Clean Eating Magazine has quite a few recipes in it that appeal to me, unlike the last issue which I thought was a total bust. This chicken recipe was really good and really easy to make. I halved it since there was only me to feed, and I got two meals from it. I also used regular boneless skinless chicken breasts that I sliced up.

Lemon Artichoke Chicken

1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tbsp dried oregano
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp (or to taste) salt
1 lb thin chicken cutlets
cooking spray
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 14oz can artichokes, drained and chopped into sixths
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
chopped parsley for garnish (optional)

1. In a shallow bowl, thoroughly combine flour, oregano, salt & pepper. Dredge chicken, shaking off excess.

2. Coat a large skillet in spray and heat to medium-high, so the skillet is hot but not smoking. Add the chicken cutlets, in batches if necessary, and cook about 5 minutes on each side, or until done. Transfer to a clean plate and cover with foil to keep them warm.

3. Adjust temperature to medium-low and heat the oil. Cook onion, stirring frequently, until soft & golden. Add garlic and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and bring to simmer. Add artichokes, lemon and zest and simmer 2 - 3 minutes until heated through and slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

4. Pour artichoke mixture over chicken and serve.

I served mine with rice and it was a nice meal! Enjoy!

9 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

An interesting combination! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Meg said...

This looks so yummy! I need to subscribe to that magazine.

Karen said...

That does sound good although I'm not a big fan of artichokes. I suppose you could simply make it without and it would still be fabulous!

Julie said...

That looks yummy. I love artichokes.

creampuff said...

Oh that looks really good ... I love artichokes! Have to try this one!

Madam Chow said...

I've never heard of that magazine before, but I'm going to check it out now!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I usually like this magazine. This meal sounds really good

Lee said...

Thanks for posting this recipe...sounds delicious!

Wandering Coyote said...

Welcome, Lee! If you make this, let me know how it goes!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin