My roommate is the Huckleberry Queen. She harvested about 26 cups of local huckleberries, and if you were reading over the summer, she made a bunch of pies. Since last weekend was Canadian Thanksgiving, and since she had some family come from out of town, she made some muffins. I can attest to the fact that they were wonderful! The recipe came from one of the Best of Bridge cookbooks, The Best of the Best of, And More. The original recipe calls for blueberries, and she decided against putting on the topping.
Super Huckleberry Lemon Muffins
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
zest of 1 lemon
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup huckleberries
Topping: 1/4 cup melted butter, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar
1. Combine dry ingredients and zest in a large bowl.
2. Combine the liquid ingredients and blend in a medium bowl.
3. Add the liquid to the dry and combine. Batter might be lumpy.
4. Bake @ 375F for about 20 minutes. Yields about 16 muffins.
5. For the topping: in a small bowl combine the butter and lemon juice. Put the sugar in a separate bowl. Slightly cool the muffins on a rack and dip the tops in the lemon butter, then in the sugar. Cool completely.