Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Coffee Chocolate Chip Muffins

I love it when I get a cookbook that leaves me wanting more and more. One such book was Beyond the Great Wall, which I reviewed here. From that book, I've become addicted to dumplings and a bit of a dumpling-making machine. Also, I love the Kazakh Family Loaf recipe, and have made it since the review. I plan on making the Green Tea Shortbread again soon, too. Another book I reviewed, Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse, has given me some great joy, too, particularly with their absolutely amazing blueberry muffin recipe. Today, I wanted to bake something sweet, for some quick gratification of my sugar cravings, but also to freeze for future sugar cravings. I am also going into squirrel mode and starting to stockpile and cook/bake stuff for the winter. The Coffee Chocolate Chip Muffins on page 56 were incredible when I made them for the book review, and so I decided to revisit the recipe again today.

Incidentally, I have four cookbooks coming to me this fall for reviewing, which I'm very much looking forward to. But, since I'm trying to cut down on possessions (moving 6 times in 2 years does that to you) I'm being much more ruthless about what I keep on my limited shelf space and what gets discarded. Cookbooks - though I am truly a cookbook junkie - are notoriously heavy and difficult to move around, so I'm trying my very best to only keep the best of the best, and those that make good reference books. I hope the stuff I get this fall will be shelf-worthy.

Anyways, onto the recipe.

Coffee Chocolate Chip Muffins, from Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse

Beat at high speed in a large bowl, until fluffy:
3 sticks/12oz/1.5 cups butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
5 tbsp instant espresso powder

Sift in:
4 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

At low speed, add until just combined:
1 cup milk
1 cup chocolate chips (I used 1 1/2 cups)

Scoop the batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake at 350F for 20 - 25 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. You should get about 18 regular-sized muffins. I, however, do enjoy a smaller muffin, a mini muffin, so, I got 16 regular-sized muffins and a dozen minis. Perfect for two-bit occasions.

I cannot rave enough about how amazing these muffins are. They melt in your mouth, the balance of coffee and chocolate flavour is perfect, and the texture is so delicate and cakey you think you're eating a high-class cupcake.

And, just as a little extra bit of inspiration for you: this muffin, warmed up, served with vanilla ice cream & chocolate sauce...um...think about it! HEAVEN!

I also cannot say enough about having silicone muffin cups. If you can get your hands on a set, I highly recommend them. They are so easy to work with, are totally reusable, and are easy to keep clean.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

They look very pretty and delicious! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

They look fantastic! Nice one! Definitely be trying this one out soon. I'm a bit of a muffin freak, and these look about the right size. Can't be too big, for me.

Monica H said...

I have a question about these muffins. Does it really call for 3 sticks of butter? That seems like a ton and I'm a bit confused because it also says 3/4 cup, but each stick is 1/2 cup??? SHould it be 3 sticks or 12 oz. or 1 1/2 cups?

I just don't want to add too much or not enough. Thanks!

Monica
stillhopeful.monica@yahoo.com

Wandering Coyote said...

Hi Monica!

Ah, thanks for catching that! I have the original recipe right in front of me and it is definitely 3 sticks or 12oz. I have no idea why I wrote 3/4 cup, but I will change that ASAP.

Monica H said...

I just blogged about these and they were delicious. Thanks for posting the recipe!

http://lickthebowlgood.blogspot.com/2010/01/best-part-of-waking-up.html

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin