Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Restaurant Review: Main Street Diner

Yeah, nothing works up a bigger appetite than waiting in a huge, long line-up to get your passport done - which is exactly what I did at the end of August. Luckily, it didn't take as long as I'd anticipated, so I actually had a free afternoon. My dad and I decided to take a trip to Nelson's Save-On Foods to do some grocery shopping, but I was starving so we did lunch first. My choice: The Main Street Diner.

I love this place. Back when I was a kid, it was called Milly's, and a trip to Nelson was never complete without a meal there. Milly's is where I had my first taste of Greek food: avgolemono soup, souvlaki, and feta cheese. My favourite in those days was the Baja Melt, which is pita smothered in salsa, shrimp, cheese, and served with sour cream. It seemed to exotic and it was such a treat to go there.

Even though the name has been changed for a while now, I still refer to Main Street as Milly's, and the menu is very similar, too. The melts are still there as are the Greek favourites. And the food is still awesome. My dad doens't understand why I like it so much because he thinks it's a bit plain, but the Main Street is consistently good and besides, I like it for sentimental reasons!

Apart from the Greek stuff and melts, the Main Street's impressive menu also includes a large selection of burgers, sandwiches, salads, fish & chips, and seafood. My favourite, as I mention in my review of Rossland's Sunshine Cafe, is the club house, but Main Street does a fantastic seafood club. After my annoying passport clinic experience, I was hungry and this sandwich fit the bill. My dad, who'd waited at my work for me to finish at the passport clinic, had a Greek salad (no olives) because he'd been snacking while waiting for me.

My sandwich was astounding. Piled very high with shrimp salad, crab salad, black forest ham, lettuce and tomato, and accentuated with seafood sauce, it was hard to get my mouth around, and the bread was barely able to contain all the filling. It was excellent. The Main Street does good fries, too - nice and chunky ones, and of course I had those (other side choices are coleslaw or cottage cheese). The restaurant still serves its food on the same dark brown, heavy stoneware dishes, too, which is nice to see.

As I said above, the menu is large and everything I've had off of it previously has been great. These include the calamari, the regular club house, the oyster burger, the avgolemono soup, and their Khalua cheesecake. Their daily soups have also been delicious when I've had them. Their portions are ample and their prices are fair. My sandwich was $14.95, for instance. Lunch for my dad and me came to just under $30. I sent my compliments to the kitchen and left pretty happy - not to mention full!

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

The food looks scrumptious! I'd love to visit a diner!

Cheers,

Rosa

Meg said...

Wow, so many flavors in that sandwich! I bet it was yummy!

Karen said...

I don't like seafood but the pictures make it look delicious! I often wonder about taking pictures of my food in a restaurant...will the restaurant mind? What will my dining companions think? Will other diners give me funny looks? I might just have to try it one of these days.

Wandering Coyote said...

Rosa: Diners are fun!

Meg: They make the best sandwiches ever!

Captain: Oh, go on! No one cares, really, and with so many phones with cameras and foodbloggers etc., I'm sure lots of places are used to it by now.

Anonymous said...

That's something I miss - diner food!

I almost always take photos of my food. Don't really care what other people think, but I haven't noticed any strange looks.

And my dining companions have got used to the idea that they can't touch their food until I'm done.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin