Thursday, September 25, 2008

Pizza Casserole

It's casserole season - thank God! Fall is here, it's cooled off, and the oven can safely come on without heating up the house past 30C. I love a good casserole, but don't make too many. I'm not sure why; they're just not my cup of tea. But when I saw this post by Megan of Megan's Munchies, my tastebuds were tickled. Something about it really appealed to me, and last night I made this for dinner.

The original recipe came from here. This meal was ludicrously easy to make and simply delicious. I'm not the biggest fan of pepperoni - I'll eat it in a pinch if I have to, but there are other pizza toppings I like a lot more - so I used my favourite toppings: black forest ham, feta cheese, and olives. Since I won't touch KD with a ten-foot pole, I used instead Annie's shells & cheddar, which is on sale right now at my local overpriced grocery store. The recipe also stipulated one 14oz tin of pizza sauce; I used one 7.5oz tin and it was plenty. I would mix the cheese into the pasta first and add the sauce after, just because in my case I had lumps of cheese mix throughout. But, we live and learn, right?

This pan will probably provide me with four meals in total, which is always nice. I might even freeze some of it. In the end, a totally awesome supper! Thanks Megan and Lisa!

3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That Pizza Casserole looks absolutely delicious! A great meal!

cheers,

Rosa

Meg said...

Glad you enjoyed it! It looks amazing! Great add-ins and I will be using Annie's next time because I am looking for more natural versions of foods like macaroni and cheese. Thanks for the idea and thanks for mentioning me in your post!

Have a great day!

tshsmom said...

I've been making this ever since Pizza Hut came out with its Cavatini in the late 70s. I just analyzed their product and duplicated it, with my favorite ingredients, at home. We like pepperoni, green olives, onion, green peppers, mushrooms, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese in ours.

Starting with packaged mac and cheese is a neat idea. I think I'll try that next time. I usually use whatever fun-shaped pasta is on sale in mine. I've also made it with homemade spinach or carrot noodles.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin