Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Ultimate Blueberry Muffin

Like cookies, there are a bazillion different muffin recipes out there. And, like cookies, some are better than others.

What do you look for in a muffin?

I personally like a muffin that isn't trying to be a cupcake (a la Costco), that isn't too oily, and that has a nice firm, even slightly crisp top. I look for a delicate crumb and simple flavours, a moist texture but one that isn't going to fall apart and crumble to to bits before I get it to my mouth.

This recipe is all these things. Adapted from Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse, I bring you...

The Ultimate Blueberry Muffin

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tbsp lemon juice; let sit 5 minutes)
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
zest of one lemon or one orange

Cream the butter and sugar together until very light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla. Whisk together the dry ingredients and add, alternating with buttermilk in 2 or three additions, to the butter mixture. Add zest. Fold in blueberries. Scoop into muffin tins, greased or with papers, and bake at 350F for 25 - 30 minutes. You should get 12 large muffins.

This is a versatile batter. You can replace the blueberries with any berry you want to, or make something like Orange Chocolate Chip, Lemon & White Chocolate Chip, Pineapple Coconut (drain the pineapple very well and pat dry with paper towels). Use your imagination; the sky's the limit!

NB: Nutritional information per muffin is here.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good. I'll try your recipe during the Summer. Good execution on the dumplings as well.

Thistlemoon said...

I like the cupcake-esque muffins! I am so bad, I know, but I love poundcake and to me those muffins are like mini cakes. Without all that icky icing that you get on a bonafide cupcake.

Wandering Coyote said...

James: the dumplings were AMAZING! thanks for stopping by!

JennDZ: I love the costco type of muffins, too, I just don't think they're muffins. And you can tell they're made with lower quality ingredients, but they are a guilty pleasure of mine - when I can get my hands on one!

JC said...

costco muffins are the WORST!!!

Saikat said...

Hi,
Saikat from BlogsJam here.
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the blog. we have 3 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget, a content widget and a tag cloud widget) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the widgets for your blog.

thx-Saikat

PS: If you have multiple blogs, these widgets can help you perform a traffic exchange between your own blogs.

Cherie said...

I shall try this recipe for your idea of a muffin is identical to mine.

Thanks, WC - they look fantastic!

Donna-FFW said...

They do indeed sound delectable.. will have to try this version, I like that it uses buttermilk and a hint of citrus!

Che76 said...

Hello WC. First things first, you write really well! Nice food blog. Even I, a basic cook, can appreciate the tales of your journey with food. Thanks for giving a little award on your blog about my husband,Van's, culinary creations. I am SO happy that he & JT started their own food blog! Not only does he cook new & interesting things every weekend, but chronicling the process has become one of our routine fun projects together!! (I take the pix while he cooks & I decorate food). Thanks again & I'll see you in cyberspace on the sites.

BTW, Costco has good chocolate cakes! Muffins? Not so sure.

Wandering Coyote said...

Che76: welcome to ReTorte! Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a lovely comment! A food blog as a team effort is a wonderful thing, I think. Go for it and have fun!

Van Santos said...

Let me just say the muffins are FANTASTIC!

Wandering Coyote said...

Van: glad they were a hit!

Van Santos said...

They really were. I see some many options for this on!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin