Monday, August 11, 2008

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

I cannot say enough about my Cuisinart ice cream maker: it's easy to use, makes wicked ice cream and frozen yogurt, and it's just plain cool.

During our recent run of really ridiculously hot weather, it seemed only natural to get out my little machine and make myself some ice cream - even though my favourite flavour was on sale at my local overpriced grocery store.

I decided to make mint chocolate chip, my perennial favourite.

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

2 cups whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp pure mint extract (or to taste)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 (100g) bar of your favourite chocolate (I used a bar of Ghirardelli baking chocolate I had on hand), chopped up
green food colouring, optional

I have a large (1L) glass liquid measuring cup that I mix the cream, milk and sugar in to begin with. Then I add the flavouring, tasting and adjusting as necessary. I start the machine up and pour it all in, adding the chocolate chunks closer to the end of the process because you just need to mix them in. Easy peasy!

Some other frozen desserts I've made with this machine:

lemon ice cream
grapefruit sorbet
lemon-ginger frozen yogurt

7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That Ice Cream looks terribly good!

Cheers,

Rosa

Cakespy said...

My favorite flavor!!! It's not ridiculously hot here...but I think I could still do some damage!!

Gardenia said...

Awesome - you are insured your products are all good and pure - - I love Cuisinart - I want to start a collection of these nifty little appiances.

Wandering Coyote said...

Gard: this is probably the best ice cream maker on the market, and it cost me about $80.

Bridget Jones said...

I just finished off a pint of mint cc by myself last night.

Mannnnnn that looks great, WC

Aqua Rae said...

WC I have a Cuisinart Ice cream maker and have tried following some of the recipes in the included cookbook. We have trouble getting anything to a proper consistency. We keep our bowl in the freezer overnight even. Any tips or reasons that may be causing our problems. We've basically put ours away.

Wandering Coyote said...

Aqua: Hm...First of all, I'd ditch the cookbook recipes that came with the machine. The only one I ever used from it is the sorbet one and it worked fine. Some of the ice cream recipes are egg-based and I've never made them.

I follow this simple recipe:
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
2/3 - 3/4 cup sugar

Plus whatever flavouring, making sure not to add much more liquid than what you already have.

Mix everything first in a large glass measuring cup and make sure all the ingredients are well-combined. Put the machine together, turn it on, then slowly pour the mixture in. If you do it the other way around, the churning arm doesn't go in properly and you wind up having problems. After this, it should take between 20 - 30 minutes (depending on ingredients) to get a soft ice cream. After this, you must remove the ice cream immediately to a container and freeze until firm. You can't go all the way with the machine or you'll kill your motor. Add anything chunky - like nuts or chocolate chips - at the very end because you only need to mix them in to incorporate.

Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell you. I freeze my drum overnight, too. I tried the four hour thing the book recommended but it didn't work.

Let me know what happens!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin