Monday, August 18, 2008

Fresh Strawberry Pie

I have to admit that I'm not a berry person. I like working with them and putting them in baking, and I'll eat the baking with the berries, but I don't like to just sit and pick at a bowl of berries. I am also not a huge fan of strawberries. Unless they're dipped in a lot of dark chocolate, I can think of a few dozen things I'd rather eat. But, for some weird reason, this dessert caught my eye when I started going through the June 2008 issue of Gourmet. It seemed different to me, and it was a simpler, summery recipe that looked easy to make. I recently had the opportunity to make it for a family dinner, and it also worked out that I could get 2lbs of strawberries for $5 at my local overpriced grocery store.

Recipe here.

Regarding ice baths...I rarely have enough ice hanging around to use as an ice bath, so what I did was cool the filling down to cold in a bath of ice water, then I set the pie in the freezer as opposed to the fridge. This worked like a charm.

It was a pretty impressive pie, in the end, and my family gobbled it up. It was so refreshing, and a nice change from the traditional baked berry pies. This had a few steps to it, but over all, it was an easy recipe, and the crust was fantastic. I felt it needed more than the 5oz of cookies because it was thin and I wasn't able to make the crust go to the top of the pie plate, but this is a minor adjustment for the next time I make this. I can also see this being easily adaptable to use other berries, like blueberries or huckleberries. Definitely a recipe I'll be keeping around!

6 comments:

Karen said...

Move to Alberta. Please. Now.

That's one I'll be trying too!

Cherie said...

AHHHH! This is one of my Favorite Pies! Looks delicious, WC. Beautiful.

Hey, I just received two pounds of frozen huckleberries from Priest Lake, Idaho. Do you have huckleberries up there?

My grandparents lived in Priest Lake for decades and Grandma made the BEST huckleberry pies ever. To have these berries in my freezer now sure brings back happy memories.

Wandering Coyote said...

Karen: Or, you could come to BC for a visit!

Cherie: Funny you should mention huckleberry pies...I will have a post up about them in the near future! We definitely have them here, and this year has been an excellent year for them! My roommate has been out picking each night for over a month, and she has more huckleberries than she knows what to do with!

Cherie said...

Have her send 'em my way!

Actually, we're going to head for the hill one of these mornings and see if the local ones are ripe. I hope we haven't missed them. They are usually few and far between.

Judith said...

I love summer for the berries. What a masterpeice! It looks wonderful!Probably tasted better than wonderful.
I've been using fresh blueberries lately. Yum!Judith

Wandering Coyote said...

Mom: posts about blueberries and huckleberries are upcoming! I just got 4lbs blueberries for $10 at the local overpriced grocery store, and I got 11.5 cups of blueberries in the freezer.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin