Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Anadama Bread

Sometimes we have to branch out, right?

I needed bread, and it's cooled off considerably in the past few days, so I thought I'd make myself a loaf. Previously, I have made Anadama Bread, and posted about it here. Coincidentally, that was almost exactly two years ago...I wonder where this impulse came from, eh?

Anyways, I searched around on the net for a new Anadama recipe and came up with this one here. It involved way more molasses and it also required cooking up a cornmeal mush mixture, rather than just adding cornmeal raw to the flour mixture. I was game, so away I went.

When I was kneading the dough in my mixer, though, I thought it was a little dark. In fact, it looked a lot like gingerbread. But I plowed on!

Well, all I can say is this: I probably would have enjoyed gingerbread a whole lot more. This loaf was way too molasses-y and the taste was really intense. I like molasses well enough, but not this much. It was nearly unpalatable for me. I was hugely disappointed! The texture was great, however. I called my dad up to see if he would like the loaf, as he's much more into...um...robustly flavoured bread.

Ah well. Not everything we make is a raging success, right?

During my research on Anadama Bread, I came across this site, which has a page telling the "real and authentic" story about the invention of this loaf.

Who knows? I just know I'm going back to my old tried and true recipe.

3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That bread looks gorgeous! I love molasses, so I'm sure that your Anadama Bread would be very successful at my table...

Bises,

Rosa

crazytigerrabbitman said...

For the love of Gaod, when are you releasing a cook book with these recipes? Honestly, I would be the first in line...

Wandering Coyote said...

Rosa: I like molasses...just not this much molasses!

CTRM: Cookbook? Who needs a cookbook when you have a blog? But...I'll let you know should anyone approach me wanting to publish me!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin