Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sour Cream Polenta Bread

During a recent stint in hospital, the activities coordinator asked if I'd like to bake, and provided me with a pile of old, probably donated, but decent cookbooks. I wasn't really in the mood to bake, but this cornmeal bread caught my eye. I didn't get to bake it while in the hospital because the activities coordinator got busy with other stuff and she has to be in the kitchen with patients to supervise, but I copied down the recipe so I could make this at home.


Sour Cream Polenta Bread

1 ½ cups fine cornmeal
½ cup plain flour
4 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 ¼ cups sour cream
2 Tbsp veg. oil
½ tsp poppy seeds

  • Sift together dry ingredients
  • In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients
  • Combine contents of both bowls
  • Sprinkle with seeds
  • Bake 30 min. at 400F, then reduce temp. to 350F. Continue baking for 15 – 20 minutes, or until loaf is golden and baked through.
Yeah, it came out looking like a brick! But, I guess I shouldn't be surprised because there isn't much flour in this recipe. It tasted great however, and had a nice, corny crunch. It could have been a bit sweeter, but some jam would fit the bill very well. It's dense enough that it can be toasted for breakfast, too!

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

An interesting bread! I bet it tastes very good! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Tamara (TC) Staples said...

Yum! That looks wonderful. I wish I had some for breakfast right now.

Cherie said...

Gonna try this as I have the ingredients on hand. Looks like a good addition to a Mexican meal.

Wandering Coyote said...

Rosa: Thanks!

Tamara: this would be an easy recipe to convert to gluten-free, since there is only 1/2 cup flour in it. You could substitute 1/2 cup of your favourite gluten free flour. The purpose of the flour, in this case, is to act as a binding agent, so you could conceivably use something else.

Cherie: This is a great cornbread recipe, and yes, it would make an excellent accompaniment to a Mexican meal. I also have a corn & blueberry muffin recipe posted here not too long ago. You might like that one, too.

Cherie said...

Would huckleberries work in that cornbread recipe?

I'm going to hunt for it now...

Wandering Coyote said...

Yes, huckleberries would work perfectly in that cornbread recipe! Let me know how it goes!

Haley said...

We would like to feature your sour cream polenta bread on our blog. Please email haleyglasco@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Haley

blog.keyingredient.com/

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin