Monday, August 25, 2008

Quinoa with Black Beans

Quinoa has become one of my new favourite things. As versatile as rice with a high nutritional value, it's now a staple in my pantry. I came across this recipe in the September 2008 issue of Bon Appetit, and I had everything on hand, so I made it for dinner the other night.

This dish is beautiful in its simplicity, and not only is it healthy, vegetarian (and easily made vegan), high in fibre and tasty, it's also a one-pot meal - something that comes in very handy quite frequently. I used crumbled feta cheese on mine, and the saltiness this addes made for a very well-rounded flavour.

Quinoa with Black Beans & Cilantro

1 tbsp veg. oil
2 cups chopped white onions
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup quinoa
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water (I used chicken stock I had kicking around)
1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Crumbled Cotija Cheese or feta cheese, optional

Heat oil in heavy medium sauce pan, over medium high heat. Add onion and pepper and saute until they begin to soften. Stir in the next four ingredients. Add water; bring to boil. Cover; reduce heat to medium low and simmer until quinoa is almost tender - about 14 minutes. Add beans and 1/4 cup of the cilantro; cook uncovered until heated through and liquid is fully absorbed, about 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl and sprinkle with remaining cilantro, and, if using, the cheese.

I found this is great not only hot out of the pot, but cold the next day. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

That looks great! I like quinoa too, I really should make it more often. I am more of a buckwheat girl, I guess...but I should get some quinoa for the pantry too!

Anonymous said...

Look good!

I didn't know Quinoa was so easy to work with. I'm going to have to try it now. One pot meals rock. The less cleaning up I have to do the better!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very healthy and delicious! I love that kind of dish!

cheers,

Rosa

la said...

Can I use another type of bean?

Btw, the word verification text is BYO FYD =)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin