Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Magazine Monday #71 (Yes, a day late): Asian Pork Burgers with Hoisin Mayo

I really am enjoying the subscription to Food Network Magazine my mom got me for my birthday. I've been craving a burgers lately, and a recipe in the most recent issue of FNM caught my eye. It's actually a recipe for Asian meatball subs, but because I'm not in the mood these days to putz around making finicky things like meatballs (or at least making meatballs seems like a rather finicky activity to me right now) I decided to turn these into burgers. I think ground pork makes such excellent burgers - moist, juicy, and the flavour of the meat is mild & neutral enough to add all kinds of flavourings to it that work very well. You might recall the Curried Pork Burgers I made a while back; they have become a favourite of my brother & SIL. They might like this pork burger, too, as might you!

The recipe is here.

Frakking fantastic! Now, I made some adjustments. I didn't use any bread or milk or eggs as filler in my burger meat; I have moved away from doing that after reading Bobby Flay's burger book, and quite frankly, I think the burgers are better without all that stuff in them. I've never had a burger fall apart or crumble during cooking so I don't think it's necessary to add eggs & bread crumbs etc. I also didn't use the Asian chili sauce, and I broiled my burgers instead of frying them.

I loved these burgers so much I totally indulged and ate two! The Asian flavourings were wonderful, and I loved the crunch of the chopped chestnuts in them. I loved the bean sprout topping, too - also crunchy and tasty. As for the hoisin mayo...OMG...AMAZING! It was one incredible burger for sure, and that mayo was the cherry on the proverbial sundae.

Definitely give these a try if you're looking for a change in your same old, same old burger repertoire!

6 comments:

Karen said...

This sounds delicious (minus the chestnuts). Mmmmm, burgers. I'm definately going to be checking these out.

Future Grown-Up said...

I want one of those burgers right now. Okay maybe two. Or three. Very yummy looking.

Chris said...

Well, it looks savorilicious to me! And the hoisin mayo, heck yeah!

Tina said...

The pork and chestnuts sound like a great departure from regular burgers. Never tried the hoisin, especially in mayo.............everything you make sounds appealing :-)

Jamie said...

My oh my how I love Asian flavors but have never thought to add them to burgers! Fantastic recipe! And I love the idea of using chestnuts here. Great recipe and glad you made them for Magazine Mondays!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

That recipe sounds totally delicious - love the ginger and chestnuts in there, and that hoisin may sounds awesome. Love the idea of the bean sprouts for some crunch as well. Turning these into burgers was a great idea :-)
Sue

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin