Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Ultimate Chocolate Cake

If you love chocolate, and if you love moist, delicious cakes, you'll love this recipe. I got it originally from a friend in Ottawa and it has never failed me.

Chocolate Cake

1 3/4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa, sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
2 tsp vanilla

1. Grease & flour a 9x13" oblong cake pan, or line it with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 350F.
2. Sift together your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Beat eggs and milk in a separate bowl, adding the vanilla. Add the oil. Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine well with an electric hand mixer. Don't overmix! Add 1 cup of boiling water and mix until just combined.
3. Pour into prepared pan and bake 40-45 minutes, or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean.

This is the best chocolate cake I've ever had. I have also done the following variations:

- I substituted the milk for 2/3 cup Bailey's Irish Cream and 1/3 cup milk; I iced this cake with a buttercream icing that was make with Bailey's instead of milk or cream - this was the best cake ever!
- I have added a couple of teaspoons of instant coffee granules when adding the boiling water
- I have also added Khalua, about 1/4 cup, with the hot water (and only 3/4 cups hot water in that case)

Enjoy!

3 comments:

mister anchovy said...

hey no fair....I'm trying to get rid of at least a few of my many extra pounds.....

Anonymous said...

Hi Coyote. Always glad to find Canadian recipes, hey how come this never showed up on my Google search for the ultimate chocolate cake?!
Can you recommend an icing? Would you use an icing sugar one or a ganache?

Wandering Coyote said...

You can use either, though a ganache would be lovely. I used to make a buttercream icing with Bailey's Irish Cream in it that was fabulous...just a plain old buttercream but substitute the cream or milk you'd use with the Bailey's. You can also substitute the milk in the cake recipe with an equal amount of Bailey's and that's super fantastic. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin