Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Snickerdoodles

I first had these cinnamon flavoured butter cookies in Baddeck, Nova Scotia, where I spent a few nights during my honeymoon. There is a fantastic little bakery there that I highly recommend if you ever get to Baddeck (it's not the one listed on the web site, though). I found a recipe in a friend's cookbook and I make these very regularly here at work, but I usually double the batch to make about 70 cookies.

Snickerdoodles

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp cinnamon plus 2 tbsp sugar, combined

1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg & vanilla and cream until smooth. Sift in the dry ingredients and mix well, but don't over mix.
3. Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased or parchment-lined baking sheet and press down to flatten, either with a fork or a wet hand. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top. Bake until golden brown.

The original recipe says you should form the dough into balls and roll the balls in the cinnamon sugar, then press the dough down to form the cookie. I can't be bothered and usually don't have the time. The ones I had in Baddeck didn't have this, they just had the cinnamon in the cookie dough. I kinda prefer it this way.

So, enjoy with a large glass of milk or a cup of cocoa!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, yes, the famous snickerdoodle cookie! i've never made them, but i have a recipe floating around somewhere. i think the Husband would like these...

Isabella di Pesto said...

Snickerdoodles! Haven't made these since I was married to my first husband! I'd never had them until his mother made them. He was from Cincinnati, and I thought these cookies were a specialty of that city.

Thanks for a great recipe.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin