Last weekend I made another batch of bagels and I have to say this was the best batch yet. Previously, I amended the recipe to make 12 bagels instead of 10. I said in that post that the next time I make bagels, I'll weigh the dough out and divide it by 12, and that's what I did.
The dough weighed 1.29kg and for 12 bagels, it came out to 108g per bagel. Doing it this way made a huge difference. The bagels were way more uniform in size, which made them much easier to shape. And instead of shaping by poking a hole and then rubbing the hole between my palms, I focused more on stretching the dough instead. As you can see, I got smaller holes in the middle, but I'm not overly concerned about that. They're easier to make sandwiches out of if they don't have a huge hole in the middle. The last change I made to this recipe was to skip the pepper altogether, and I have found that I prefer the pepper-less ones.
This has definitely been a learning process and finally I am getting these puppies to the place I want them to be!