Saturday, May 05, 2012

Latest Bagels

Last weekend I made another batch of bagels and I have to say this was the best batch yet.  Previously, I amended the recipe to make 12 bagels instead of 10.  I said in that post that the next time I make bagels, I'll weigh the dough out and divide it by 12, and that's what I did.

The dough weighed 1.29kg and for 12 bagels, it came out to 108g per bagel.  Doing it this way made a huge difference.  The bagels were way more uniform in size, which made them much easier to shape.  And instead of shaping by poking a hole and then rubbing the hole between my palms, I focused more on stretching the dough instead.  As you can see, I got smaller holes in the middle, but I'm not overly concerned about that.  They're easier to make sandwiches out of if they don't have a huge hole in the middle.  The last change I made to this recipe was to skip the pepper altogether, and I have found that I prefer the pepper-less ones.

This has definitely been a learning process and finally I am getting these puppies to the place I want them to be!



2 comments:

DEZMOND said...

oh, Hell, Allyson, I had to cover at least three or four posts backwards in order to get to the recipe :PPP
These look mmmmm..... Always publish the recipe, even when you take it from other sites :)

Wandering Coyote said...

Point taken, Dezzy, I'll do so in the future! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin