Sunday, May 20, 2012

Cooking with Betty Crackpot: Apple Crisp

This is one of the easiest, satisfying desserts you can make and the versatility with it is huge.  I chose to make this particular recipe because my young, almost eight year old roommate, R, had claimed that she'd never had apple crisp before.  If she had, she said it wasn't that memorable.  Well, I wanted to change her life with a memorable apple crisp and I thought Betty would for sure come through for me, since this is a basic, but delicious recipe.  NOTE: I don't normally make my crisp this way, but whatever.  I stayed true to the recipe for the sake of the series!

Apple Crisp, from page 177 of Betty Crocker's Cookbook, 1969 version

4 cups sliced pared tart apples (about 4 medium)
2/3 - 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened

Heat oven to 375F.  Grease square pan, 8x8x2".  Place apple slices in pan.  Mix remaining ingredients thoroughly.  Sprinkle over apples.  Bake 30 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.  Serve warm and, if desired, with light cream or ice cream.

I thought this was pretty good.  It was definitely crispy and crunchy.  The flavour and texture was great.  I served it with a bit of whipping cream.

R's verdict: it was "OK."  Well, I guess I didn't change her life after all. 

R's mom, T, loved it though.  We almost ate the whole pan that night.

6 comments:

DEZMOND said...

apple crisp never looks attractive, but it usually tastes heavenly :)) Mmmm...

Unknown said...

Love apple crisp. Great summer desert.

Tina said...

Damn that looks good! I have been meaning to cook/bake a few of the Betty recipes you have posted. You are inspiring :-)

Tina said...

Sorry old me, I still haven't made this crisp but it's still in my recipe pile to do so. Hope you are planning some great foodie posts soon.

Tina
xx

janel raelyn said...


Thanks for the recipe! I would loved to try this...

janel raelyn said...

Thanks for the recipe! I would loved to try this...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin