Sunday, October 31, 2010

Magazine Monday #70: Lemon Loaves!

OK, I got a great deal on lemons from the States recently (yes, you can bring certain types of fresh produce across the border, but stop off at Canada Customs on the way down to find out what you can & cannot bring home; tropical fruits are OK) - something like 2lbs for $3.50. This is an unreal deal since lemons are ridiculously expensive up here and if I'm lucky, I might be able to find a 2/99¢ sale, but I guarantee you the lemons will be crappy.

So, I brought all these lemons home and proceeded to not really know what to do with them. I'm a single person who lives alone; I was tempted to make a lemon pie, this one or a meringue, but seriously, I didn't want to eat it all myself. So, I made stuff I could freeze and pull out if I have company (which doesn't happen often).

The first thing I made was this lemon poppy seed loaf from Canadian Living. The original recipe has them as mini bundt cakes, but there is a variation in the recipe saying you can make it into a loaf, too. What issue is a mystery to me; the date was clipped off when I took the recipe from the magazine and the web site doesn't mention the date, either. Delicious! But a warning: there is too much batter for the specified loaf pan. I wound up getting a really ugly-looking, flat-topped loaf because the batter came right up to the rim of the loaf pan. But the texture and richness was lovely.

On a lemon roll, a couple of days later, I decided to make another Canadian Living recipe, this time the Lemon Yogurt Loaf from the September 2010 issue of the magazine. I had a bit of a disaster, though: my oven element began sparking away most alarmingly, and caught some piece of debris on fire. The loaves were almost done, but not quite, so I had to stick them in the toaster oven to finish baking. Disaster averted, but now I'm ovenless until the element can be replaced, and since the whole appliance is a total dinosaur, I'm worried they don't make the part anymore. (Check out The Dino here.) Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of these loaves before I wrapped them up tightly and put them in the freezer!

Oh, I also made a roast chicken with lemon, but that is a post for another time!

11 comments:

Tina said...

I was waiting to see these lemon loaves! They look so moist. Ya know, you could be the next Mrs Fields and sell these bad boys.

Lemons are a good deal right now in our markets, so glad you could bering some across the border. I was just looking at a map last night and pin pointed you near the Washington border.

tamilyn said...

Hope you can find an element to get the stove fixed....or maybe the landlord could find a "new" used newer stove for you.....

Couscous & Consciousness said...

You lemon loaf looks gorgeous - I would totally love that. I'm definitely going to try it this and try freezing some, as my partner would never eat anything lemony and since it will only be me eating it there's only one place it's gonna go and that's straight to the waistline!!
Sue :-)

Melissa @ It's The Way She said...

I adore EVERYTHING Lemon! your Lemon Loaves look so scumptious! I was just looking at a recipe for a lemon dreams cupcake in another magazine but think I'll try your loaves first.

Wandering Coyote said...

@ Pierce: Who is Mrs. Fields?

Yeah, we're about 7km from the WA border and about an hour's drive from Colville Wally World. Very convenient!

@ Tamilyn: They actually have a spare old stove in the garage (it's not the greatest, however; I've used it) so if worse comes to worst that'll have to do.

@ Sue: Thanks so much! I can't believe someone wouldn't like lemony things! Freeze it for sure, but slice it beforehand and separate the slices with some wax or parchment paper.

@ Melissa: Thanks, and welcome to the blog! Both these recipes are amazing, and do let me know how yours turn out!

Tina said...

I'm just checking in...as if I could grab a plate of this lemon loaf. I wish :-) Just like looking at it.........

NKP said...

Yes, what has happened with lemons lately? Seems they are always almost a dollar and hard as rocks.
Love the lemon loaf! A personal favourite of mine. With lemon zinger tea. I like lemon with my lemon. ;-)

Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having said...

I just stocked up on lemons at Costco today. Lemon loaf here I come!

Anonymous said...

Your lemon loaf looks fabulous. I love anything with poppyseeds. Sorry about your oven-do you secretly want a new one? Mine is so old now I'm wondering if this will happen to me!

Tina said...

I wrote you a response and lo and behold, it was saved in drafts and I forgot about it.
Mrs. Fields made cookies and they were so good, she started up a business. Shops are everywhere now!

She looks like a Stepford wife...but she makes good cookies. See link below
:
http://www.mrsfields.com/about/

DEZMOND said...

yummy, I make these lemon loaves and cupcakes too, but I make them without eggs since I'm a vegetarian! Nothing better than a smell of lemon in your cake :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin