Thursday, June 05, 2008

Feasting

Since my mom has been here, the feasting we've done as a family has been astounding. My sister-in-law is a brilliant cook, and runs a catering company with her mom in their time off. My brother, Jem, recently came back from an Alaskan fishing trip, a perk he got through his job. He returned with 35lbs of fish - mainly halibut. The resort cleaned and filleted all the fish for him, flash froze it and vacuum-sealed everything. The freshness is indescribable.

Last night, my sister-in-law made fish & chips with the halibut, accompanied by coleslaw, roasted asparagus, and stuffed mushrooms. It was a truly amazing meal.

Mom goes home tonight.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I admit that looks fabulous although I'd pass on the mushrooms and asparagus. What a great resort that would go ahead and do all of that for your brother. WOw. Mmmmm, now I want fish and chips.

Wandering Coyote said...

It was apparently a very swanky resort - like $4K/day. Jem said it was totally amazing. I almost wanted to go fishing...but, nah...I don't think I could do it. Compounded by the fact that the boats they went out on didn't have toilets - only bleach bottles with larger holes cut in the top. EWWW!

mister anchovy said...

I bet those fish n chips were very tasty!!

Wandering Coyote said...

Mr. A: The fish was TO DIE FOR!! There is nothing at all EVER EVER like fresh-caught halibut!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin