Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Corn with Feta Butter

Sometimes the simplest things are the very best, eh? Take for instance this little side dish recipe that came from the August issue of Gourmet.

I love corn on the cob and often bemoan the fact that I don't live near any decent source of local corn on the cob. The corn down east was awesome! You could buy right off the side of the farm it grew on, picked that day. Peaches & cream was my favourite. If you couldn't go out into the countryside and get it, farmer's markets always had it, too. The best corn I've ever had came from the suburbs around Chicago for like 25 cents a cob.

25 cents a cob? I am not kidding. I got 2 ears of corn for $1.49 at the local overpriced grocery store yesterday. And it wasn't peaches & cream. And it kinda sucked. This is why I very rarely buy corn anymore (the other reason is that it's genetically modified and I'm trying to cut down on my GM foods).

Luckily, this feta butter made up for the suckage. I didn't use mint, but rather picked some cilantro from my garden - a herb I'll take any day over mint.

This was da bomb! And so simple! It was truly a treat, despite the mediocre corn. I had some BBQ salmon with it and it was a great meal. Definitely a keeper recipe.

11 comments:

Denise said...

Looks like a great way to spice up corn on the cob. And you know I like anything deemed a keeper...hahaha.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A scrumptious meal! A wonderful idea!

Cheers,

Rosa

Borderline Lil said...

Awesome. I LOVE corn on the cob too, never thought of having feta with it (another thing I love!).

Donna-FFW said...

Kinda sucked, you are so funny!

It sounds like a great way to jazz up corn. 29 cents an ear, what a steal.

Miranda said...

I came acrossed your blog and I love it!!! Great pics and recipes.

Thank you so much for sharing.
I will be back.

Cathy said...

I tried this recipe too - loved loved loved it!

Bob said...

Sounds awesome. We get amazing corn here in New England (during certain parts of the year), but I bet that would make any corn better!

Coleens Recipes said...

Feta butter? I would never have imagined, but it sounds excellent. You think YOU have "iffy" corn on the cob...try living in Alaska lol. Unless the fresh corn looks extra good, I usually end up buying frozen corn on the cob.Excellent photo!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I can't wait to eat fresh corn. Great idea with the feta butter.

Reeni said...

This sounds so good! And I just bought feta. YUM!!

Dewi said...

Love corn so much, but never put anything on it. Will try this, sounds delicious!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin